Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fall Colors


Word of the Day

Tjuzs - To fashionably roll up the sleeves of a shirt. Also: tjuzing, tjuzed.

~~~~

I've been busily adding and checking off things on my To Do List. This morning, even though it wasn't on my list, I mixed up the pie crust that needs to sit and chill in the fridge before I can roll it out and make the pies that I promised to bake for tomorrow and the next day. Then, again not on my list, I washed and detailed my stovetop and my kitchen sink. I still need to do a bit more canning but, I just couldn't stand it anymore. Besides, I really don't have too much to can anymore.

I pulled in the hummingbird and oriole feeders and cleaned them...in my clean sink. I'm not sure how the wasps ended up inside my bee/wasp proof hummingbird feeder but at least they were dead. Yucko! I ended up having to clean the sink again. I'm waiting to pull the seed feeders in until they're empty. By the look of things, they'll be empty tomorrow. The woodpeckers have hit the seed really hard. They'll have to find a new source since I really don't have much more time here at The Lake and refuse to store the feeders away with seed that could mold. And...since I haven't seen any bugs that are bugging me (no mosquitoes) I unplugged and stowed away my Stinger BugZapper. There's LOTS of wasps out but I'm keeping my handy-dandy tennis racket style bug-zapper a the ready when I'm sitting out on my cushion-less rocking chair.

Since I was out on the deck with the six-foot step-stool, I decided to bring the wind chimes in and store them (now I can only hear the wind)...and then I moved on to the rain gauges. I plan to leave the temperature sensor out until Thursday or even Friday morning. In the past, I've been too quick to pull the sensor and then I have no idea what the real temperature is outside.

I brought the geraniums inside and stowed them in the basement service room. I had planned to throw them out but there is a possibility that they may survive the winter without water if they're in the basement. It's happened in the past. If they don't make it, I'll throw them away when I get back here next spring. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I emptied out the freezer in the basement and unplugged it. Done! I thawed out the steaks and will bring them over to BW's place tomorrow for our meal on Tuesday night. I thawed out the ground beef and made meatballs (also going over to BW's) for our meal on Monday night. I thawed out three quarts of tangelo juice...guess where they're going. Yup, BW's, along with three packages of my homemade spaghetti sauce (Monday night). Are you noticing a trend? Actually, some stuff I'm keeping. I vacuum-sealed three packages of ground beef and some lasagna, and I'm keeping a couple quarts of lemon juice and a couple quarts of grapefruit juice. Some stuff will keep. Other stuff....I'll either toss or gift to BW Babe, or #1 Son and #1 DIL.

I've decided that I've done enough for one day. The hoses will have to wait until tomorrow and I'll finish cleaning out the fridge after I bake those pies. That way I can bring a load of things over to BW's before The Harpist and Lord Douglas get here AND on the way back here, collect the garbage barrel and store that away for the winter.

My mind is really trying to do things in a logical fashion. I'm itching to load the car but that can't be done until Wednesday...or even Thursday since I've still got things that need tucking in and laundry to do with more things to tuck in. Oh well, this isn't my first parade.

~~~~

Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away.

Robert Orben

No comments: