Saturday, August 07, 2010



Ms. J and Kylee - July 2010

Word of the Day

Syntheticity - An object's state of being synthetic. To possess syntheticity is to be a synthetic thing. As opposed to organicity.


Woodtick Count - 30

There's so much to do these days. I really should go out and pull weeds...or spray them...but that would mean that I'd have to go outside and brave the mosquitoes again. *sigh* Oh well, I did spend a great deal of time outside yesterday despite the mosquitoes. I watered all my container plants. I dead-headed my geraniums and got rid of all the radishes that I'd tried to grow in my tomato pots. They didn't do. What a waste of time and effort! I can't grow radishes here in Wisconsin. I used to be able to grow wonderful radishes back in Arizona. Here? They all grow to tops with now bulb. I think I'll bring all my radish seed back to Arizona when HTP and I go back this fall. Waste not, want not. And besides, it won't take up that much space. Oh well....I digress. I picked all my tomatoes. Lots of cherry tomatoes. And then, I mixed up some fungicide and sprayed all the tomatoes and my zucchini plants. I've given up on my cucumber plants. Actually, nothing seems to want to grow in my dog kennel garden this year. *sigh* I did pick some beans but although HTP and I have enjoyed having them with meals, there haven't been enough to can for the winter.

I made squash blossoms and fried green tomatoes for breakfast...for me. HTP wanted a more traditional fried egg breakfast. Mom gave me some of squash blossoms from her garden and something (raccoon?) knocked a perfectly nice green tomato off one of my plants. Waste not, want not. Yummy! I probably won't be running out to pick green tomatoes to fry up on a daily basis...or ever...but the one I fried up this morning was wonderful.

So, today I'm going to can tomatoes because HTP and I can't eat them all fast enough. Plus, the reason I planted so many tomatoes is that I'm running out of my home-canned tomatoes and need to stock up again. Some for here, some for there. Some that will stay here in Wisconsin, and some to bring back to Arizona.

Random Thought of the Day

Do you yawn in your sleep?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Meetings are indispensable when you don't want to do anything.

- John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

No comments: