Tuesday, August 10, 2010



Tomatoes on the Deck - August 10, 2010

Word of the Day

Tangentman - Any individual prone to suddenly change the current subject of discussion without either warning or due cause. This is usually done to bring the discussion to a subject either close to the tangentman's heart, or to make the tangentman the centre of the discussion.


Woodtick Count - 30

The weather here at The Lake this week can be described using two words. Hot and Humid. With dew points in the 70's, it isn't uncommon to wake up to windows fogged up with condensation due to the indoor air-conditioning. It's not exactly like walking out into a huge steam bath but it's darn close. Actually, I wouldn't really mind it too much if it weren't for the mosquitoes.

I'm heading out this afternoon to see a guy about a couple of eyes. I haven't seen an ophthalmologist for three years. I think it's time to get my eyes checked...maybe get a new pair of glasses. These days you can't just walk into Walmart, hand them your glasses, and ask them to make up a pair of glasses with the same prescription. Why? If you're happy with the glasses you have and the only problem is that the ones you currently own are all scratched up or you broke the rims or something, why can't they just make up a new pair for you. It's not like they can't figure out what your prescription is by putting your glasses into one of their neato machines. But....it has been three years. I suppose I could go see the Walmart optometrist but I figures since it's been three years I'd better go see a guy who could identify any real problems that my eyes could be subject to because of my aging body. However, I may go over to Walmart when it comes to taking care of ordering new glasses. There really isn't too many choices when it comes to getting glasses here at The Lake. Or...maybe I can wait until I get to make a trip into The Big City. We'll see.

Random Thought of the Day

Why do people never say "it's only a game" when they're winning?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self.

- Whitney Young (1921 - 1971)

No comments: