Friday, November 12, 2010




Word of the Day

Taterfamilias - The head of the Potato Head family.


Last summer my sister inventoried her freezers at The Lake. Yesterday, I bought a frozen turkey for Thanksgiving. I barely found room for it in my freezer. The turkey was my last straw. It became more than apparent that there are LOTS of things in both the big, upright freezer in my laundry room AND the freezer part of my side-by-side refrigerator. Time to do an inventory. If you don't know what is in your freezer...or cupboards...you just end up running out to the grocery store for things that you already have, in abundance. However, having said that. The turkey I bought yesterday, is the only turkey that is currently residing in my freezer.

The inventory took me two LONG hours. I now have two printed pages of things that are in my upright freezer and one printed page of things that are in my side-by-side freezer. From the look of things, I've been preparing for The Great Famine. And I've been making those preparations since 2007, but I did find some blackberries that I'd vacuum-sealed in 2002. *sigh* I'm sure they'll be great in wine, but obviously, it's time to use some of this stuff up. I've already thrown away the mystery foods.

Mystery food? Apparently, someone (probably me), put some food in the freezer without bothering to identify it with the mistaken idea that I'd use it before having to label it. Wrong. I figure if you can't figure out what something is by looking at it, and you can't remember when you put it in the freezer, it's time to throw it out. I'm making a resolution to label things from now on. My memory isn't what it used to be. And NOTHING goes into the freezer before it has been entered into the inventory. What am I talking about?! NOTHING goes into the freezer until I whittle the inventory list down to ONE page.

As for vintage foods?...well, HTP and I are going to enjoy a couple of three year old "vintage" T-Bone steaks tonight. I'm hoping that the Fried Italian Peppers (also found in the freezer - Fall 2009, but vacuum-sealed) will help mask the freezer burn on the meat. I can say that the frozen burritos (2009?) that I cooked up for lunch tasted just fine.

Needless to say, no-one is going to be running out to the grocery store in the near future for any meat. We've got meat. Check the inventory. I suppose I should inventory my two pantries next. *sigh*

Thought of the Day Random

Why doesn't McDonald's sell hotdogs?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Dive into the sea of thought, and find there pearls beyond price.

- Moses Ibn Ezra, Shirat Yisrael

No comments: