Tuesday, June 08, 2010


A Family Photo - May 22, 2010

L to R in photo provided by Sis -

HTP, Bro, Me, Mrs. Bro, Sis, Sis' HTP (Husband Type Person), T-Square (my Dad), and Ma


Word of the Day

Swankienda - An extremely nice house.


Woodtick Count - 23

With not much going on here at The Lake, I've been spending a lot of my free time reading. I'm re-visiting Shannon Drake/aka Heather Graham's Vampire series. Since I had all of these books already on my bookshelf, my Kindle has been getting a bit of a rest.

On Friday, I harvested, cleaned, and froze 4 pounds of rhubarb. Sis harvested, cleaned and froze 5 1/2 pounds of rhubarb. We've decided to make a double batch of oops-less rhubarb wine which we'll blend with strawberry wine. We're going to blend half of the oops-Rhubarb wine with strawberry wine but we're going to bottle the other half of the oops-Rhubarb wine as Rhubarb wine. Hey! It might be the best Rhubarb wine that we've ever made!

My brother came up to The Lake on Saturday to open up his cabin. Since he was here, Sis decided to have the family over for dinner/potluck on Sunday. Good food, good drink, good conversation. We celebrated a belated Mother's Day and an early Father's Day. We had baked ziti, King Ranch Casserole, Caesar salad, watercress salad, homegrown green onions (the first that we've harvested), radishes, and rhubarb cake with Cool-Whip. We ate and we ate and we talked and we talked. Kylee played with Tobey (Sis' dog). And we didn't get back home until it was nearly supper time. Needless to say, HTP and I decided to skip supper.

Although I've been attempting to capture the raccoons that visited my deck the other night, I haven't had much success. Although one raccoon tripped the trap, it did so by reaching in from the outside of the trap, through the side...which tripped the trap with him on the outside. Other than startling him a bit, he ate all the bait and dragged the trap around the deck, attempting to take it down the stairs with him. I fixed that problem but haven't had subsequent activity near the trap....which is OK because I really don't want raccoons up on the deck but I've been bringing my bird-feeders in each night and taking them back out in the morning. I haven't been doing this with the hummingbird feeders. Hopefully, the raccoons will leave those alone...or find the bait in the trap more tempting.

Random Thought of the Day

Why are builders afraid to have a 13th floor but book publishers aren't afraid to have a Chapter 11?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

An expert is a person who avoids small error as he sweeps on to the grand fallacy.

- Benjamin Stolberg

No comments: