Wednesday, June 09, 2010



Word of the Day

Sweave - To swerve and weave about.


A couple of days ago, I noted that the rug by my kitchen sink was wet. My first thought was that Kylee had found a new place to piddle. No animals...including Kylee...were punished for my wet rug. I reasoned out that Kylee hadn't had the opportunity to piddle on my kitchen sink rug. Actually, knock on wood, Kylee has been pretty good lately...when it comes to doing her thing outdoors rather than indoor. So...I checked under the sink and discovered that my cabinet under the sink was wet. *sigh* I unloaded everything from beneath the sink, cleaned everything off, and then notified HTP that we had a problem. Something was leaking and it wasn't Kylee. After drying everything off and turning on this faucet and that, I noted that there was a slow drip coming from the bottom of our garbage disposal. Being of sound mind, I placed an old dishpan under the area where things were leaking and tried to call a plumber. Unfortunately, the only time we have ever been able to get a hold of our plumber here at The Lake is before 7 AM. *sigh* And he doesn't have an answering machine. So...I called yesterday morning and was told that he'd come out to take a look...last night. Then...last night, after supper, he called to ask if it was OK if he could stop by in the morning...this morning. With no plumbing expertise, my suspicion was that there was something amiss with my garbage disposal. I guessed right. I wasn't here when the plumber came but HTP was told that we needed a new garbage disposal. Corrosion had eaten through the casing. HTP ordered a new garbage disposal...which will come next week. Then, we'll need to call the plumber again to schedule him to come out to install it. In the meantime, the leak is a slow leak, so I can use the sink AND the garbage disposal, AND the dishwasher...as long as that old dishpan is under the sink to catch the drips.

Meanwhile, I took Kylee to the vet this morning. The vet is going to spay her, install one of those microchip ID thingies, and cut her nails. I was told to bring her over to the animal hospital between 8 AM and 10 AM this morning. I was told that she wasn't supposed to have anything to eat after 10 PM last night. I followed directions. Only....I think she may have eaten a couple of her baby teeth this morning. That doesn't count...does it? Anyway, I picked Sis up at her place, and then I got Kylee to the hospital/clinic at around 10 AM.

After dropping Kylee off, Sis and I continued on to the city to do some grocery shopping because we needed a couple of lemons and a couple of oranges to make more rhubarb wine (oops-less rhubarb wine...knock on wood). As soon as we dropped Sis' groceries off at her place, we continued on to my place to work on the wine. Letting the steam-juicer do its thing, Sis and I sallied forth to dig a few perennials from my front gardens as well as some winter onions. She's still working on her landscaping. Landscaping can be a prolonged process.

The oops-less (knock on wood)rhubarb wine is sitting down in my basement, next to the air-locked oops-Rhubarb wine and the air-locked Dandelion wine. Actually, this new wine is a work in progress (kind of like landscaping). Right now it has to be stirred, once a day, for three days before I stain out the citrus fruit and I can add the pectic enzyme, sugar, and yeast. After that it has to sit for two more days before I add some gelatin (flavorless) and can put the cover on and air-lock it. At that point, Sis and I won't need to do anything with it until July....about the same time that Sarge and D Buddy and my step-grandchild Ms. Jay plan to come to visit. I've already got plans to put them all to work. July is when the prickly gooseberries need picking. July is when the strawberries need picking. July is when the currants need picking. July is when the Prickly Gooseberry Wine needs to be started. July is when the Strawberry wine needs to be started. July is when the Mulligan Berry Wine needs to be bottled. A lot goes on in July. I'm betting that my raspberries will need to be picked...not to mention my blueberries. And I'll also have to start making jam in July. July is a busy month. Oh...back to oops-wine. Sis and I tasted the oops-Prickly Gooseberry Wine that we made last summer. Wow! Wonderful! We plan to incorporate the oops back into the recipe this summer. Sometimes it pays to have an oops.

It's so darn quiet here tonight. Kylee isn't here. *sigh* She's a little stinker but she's MY little stinker.

Random Thought of the Day

Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark? If he did, where did he keep them?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

No comments: