Thursday, June 03, 2010


Raccoon in a Trap - 2009

Word of the Day

Supposibly - Describing something that is supposedly possible.


Woodtick Count - 21

Almost a week has passed since the last time I blogged (confession?). Since then, #1 Son came to visit us, we had brats on the grill and belatedly celebrated #1 Son's birthday, #1 Son is now in New Orleans (roadtrip and vacation), Sarge and D Buddy have moved to a bigger rental home in Texas, DD Daughter has posted before and after pictures from the major/kick-ass workout program that she enlisted in...and then she decided to re-enlist...even though I'd LOVE to look like her before picture...*sigh*, I've added 5 woodticks to my woodtick count, Sis and I started the Rhubarb Wine and the Dandelion Wine (both recipes were changed due to a major screw up...MINE...but sometimes major screw ups turn into wondrous miracles (I hope, I hope)...so we've documented the...umm....recipe changes), and, today, Sis and I hiked down to the fresh water spring and harvested four bags of watercress. Sis took one bag, I took one bag, and we gave two bags to my Mom....because both Mom and Dad like watercress. Sis' hubby and HTP don't. Since then, I cleaned my share of the watercress and froze the less tender bits to use when Sis and I make our V-8 juice...when our tomato plants start producing more than we can actually eat. I've got 24 tomato plants growing here on my upper deck and down on my lower deck. According to The Square-Foot Gardener, I've planted way too many tomato plants...however, what does he know.

I had two unwelcome visitors come calling on my upper deck last night. Raccoons. Really big raccoons! I heard a couple of thunks and then one of my windchimes went crazy on a windless night. I dragged myself out of bed, turned on the deck light and there they were. Two masked marauders. I haven't been bringing my seed feeders in each night and the thieves were after the seed in my bird-feeders. My new bird-feeders are supposed to be squirrel-proof but I'm not too sure that they'll withstand an assault from raccoons. Plus, I noted that they seem to LOVE the egg-shells that I've been using in my tomato planters. Thankfully, they didn't manage to snap off any of my tomato plants but...it came really close. *sigh* If I'd had a gun...I would have gone all Beverly Hillbilly on them (raccoon ragu?) but...I don't....have a gun. I would really like to have a gun, but, Sis' hubby commented that he really didn't want to be hiking out in the woods...should I decide to buy one. However... Oh well...while Sis and I were out shopping this morning (buying supplies to rectify the wine screw up of yesterday), I purchased some canned cat food to use as bait in our Havahart trap. HTP told me that raccoons really LOVE cat food. My folks think I shouldn't set my trap on my deck but I'm afraid that I may catch something other than a raccoon in the trap if I set it anywhere else. I mean...what would I do if I caught a skunk? Ewww!!!!!

So, I find myself sitting out on the deck, under the shade of our deck umbrella (blocks the glare of the sun so I can actually see what is being written or read on my laptop screen ), blogging. My gardens are planted. Kylee is contently chewing on the bone that I bought her at Blaine's Farm and Fleet. I'm sipping on the Rhubarb/Strawberry wine that Sis and I made last summer. And...I'm thinking grilling up some burgers on the grill for tonight's supper....and maybe making a side watercress salad...for me.

Random Thought of the Day

If the FBI breaks your door down do they have to pay for it?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The only reason I made a commercial for American Express was to pay for my American Express bill.

Peter Ustinov (1921 - 2004)

No comments: