Monday, February 25, 2013

Little Jon
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 

Word of the Day

Testlice - The tiny bugs that invade one's hair when they're taking an exam.

HTP told me the disturbing news that he heard that our desert temperatures dipped to 30 degrees last night. I raced to check my digital temperature sensor and read 33 degrees. I sure hope that it didn't freeze last night because I didn't protect any of my tender plants. Oh well...there's nothing I can do about it right now and coming home from yoga this morning, everything looks about the same. I'll probably go outside later to take a new picture of my agave. I have lots of dead-looking plants and trees outside right now and LOTS of leaf drop. I know things will recover but there's no point in taking lovely landscape pictures of things that look dead. I've scheduled a landscaper to come in and do some cleanup work but not until mid-March.

As I mentioned in the last paragraph, I'm back from my Monday yoga class. I'm thankful that they yoga instructor has been more than willing to record the class for me, using the digital recorder that I bought from Amazon. She's recorded five classes for me so far so I can continue doing yoga this summer while I'm at The Lake or while in Ireland and Scotland. Of course, I'm not actually sure that I'll have time in the mornings while I'm in traveling with Sis but at least I'll have a variety of classes to guide me should I find the time. I think I'll bring the recorder with me, regardless, so I can record some of the musical offerings or story-telling while we're pub-sitting in Ireland.

Plans for the Scotland/Ireland trip have been made. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I'm debating whether or not to learn some Gaelic. I've been reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and the Gaelic phrases in the books have got me a bit stumped. I try to pronounce the words, mentally, but I suspect that my pronunciation is WAY off. I'm also thinking I should gt myself a map to refer to when I'm reading the books because, quite frankly, I'm geographically challenged. I started reading the last (latest) book in the series which finds me in the midst of New York during the revolutionary war with our heroes trying to get back to Scotland, but, I won't get into details. I hear that there will be another book in the series released...after I get back from Ireland. I'll probably finish reading the latest book by tomorrow. That leaves me with at least a couple of months to learn some Gaelic?

Random Quote of the Day

Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity.

Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar", 1991









No comments: