Friday, August 30, 2013

Dill Pickles!


Word of the Day

Tellum - The complete opposite of a mullet; Short in the back, long in the front.

~~~~

BW Babe and I went to the Barron County Market yesterday. Very nice. We didn't have to wait until Saturday to buy produce from the Farmers' Market in the city. I wanted to buy some pickling cucumbers and some dill so I could make more of my Spicy Dill Pickles. I thought, last year, that I'd make a life-time supply of dill pickles but, apparently, my dill pickles were a "HIT". I'm down to four jars here at The Lake, and a similar amount in Arizona. DD Daughter requested more and HTP's brother loves them. I love them too. So, I needed to make more. #1 DIL's Dad commented, when I said that I made another 23 quarts of my dill pickles today, that I made a life-time supply. I made a similar amount last summer. Am I going to have to go through this every year? Who eats this many dill pickles? Oh well, I bought a bit more than a 1/2 bushel of the smaller cucumbers at the market yesterday and ended up with 23 quarts of my own Spicy Dill Pickles. I always add a bit of heat to my dill pickles. You can't find that on the shelf at your local grocery store. I also bought 50# of sugar at the market. Hey! It ended up costing 45 cents per pound....no limit. I have paid less but only at the opening of a new grocery store. That doesn't happen too often.

My life here continues as normal. I end up watering all the plants every other day. I pick tomatoes EVERY day. I've canned six quarts of seeded and diced tomatoes. I have 1 1/2 quarts of raw tomato juice in the fridge for the best Bloody Marys that you've ever tasted.

I'm not a vegetarian but I've been eating mainly vegetari1an meals lately. I made an awesome Zucchini and Potato Bake that I jazzed up using onion, mushroom, and tomatoes...no meat. I've made some awesome little appetizer pizzas using zucchini as the crust. And tonight, I enjoyed some guacamole with corn chips. Yummy!

It's Friday! Not that it makes much difference when I'm not cued into the working day schedule but....I am working. The weekenders have returned to The Lake. After all, it is Labor Day Weekend. #1 Son and #1 DIL are having a special event in the city for all their friends. I won't be doing anything special but I remember weekends, celebrating similar events here at The Lake. I was thinking about that. What will I be doing this weekend? I'll be bottling my summer wines this weekend. And? I'll be canning more tomatoes.

~~~~

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

Epicurus (341 BC - 270 BC)

No comments: