Monday, August 19, 2013

Mystery Bird

Word of the Day

Tubarine - A margarine tub.

~~~~

Happy Belated Birthday to Ms. En. I didn't forget. I sent a present. She'll be starting school this fall. I'm looking forward to seeing her in October. Happy Birthday to my nephew, Mr. Lego Man. I got to talk to him for a bit on the phone this afternoon. Family is important and I don't get to connect with family nearly enough.

#1 Son and #1 DIL left early yesterday morning because #1 Son had to leave for a business trip on Sunday afternoon...again. While they were here, they picked the raspberries and cooked every single meal so I didn't have to do diddley. Nice...since I didn't really feel up to doing much of anything (still have my cold). They also rescued a tiny bird that banged into one of my windows. Poor thing. I'm not sure what kind of bird it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a female goldfinch. Regardless, it eventually recovered and flew away into the woods.

After my company left, I racked the wine. In two weeks I'll be bottling. I'm not sure if #1 Son and #1 DIL will be there to help me but, I've done the bottling on my own before...I can do it again.

Life goes on here at The Lake. I spent over an hour watering plants, a chore that needs repeating every other day...and sometimes every day. My tomatoes are just starting to ripen. I hate to start thinking about leaving here but...it is what it is. I'm glad to see the tomatoes ripen. Hopefully, I'll be canning tomato juice (V-8) and diced tomatoes soon. Whatever tomatoes remain "green" I'll have to make into Green Tomato Salsa and Piccalilli Relish. It seems like I need to buy some pickling cucumbers at the Farmer's Market too. DD Daughter tells me that she loves my spicy dill pickles and, apparently, HTP's brother likes them too. I "thought" I'd made LOTS of dill pickles last summer but, shockingly, most of what I made is gone. Eaten and gifted. I need to buy more Pickle Crisp too.

I'm making oven-fried eggplant for dinner tonight. I'm not sure how it'll turn out...it's an experiment using Shake and Bake for chicken. Smells good.

~~~~

Random Quote of the Day

I've grown to realize the joy that comes from little victories is preferable to the fun that comes from ease and the pursuit of pleasure.

Lawana Blackwell, The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, 1998

No comments: