Friday, August 09, 2013



Word of the Day

Twinkidue - The residue on the inside of the wrapper that every junk food addict eventually gets to.

~~~~

I'm looking forward to having one of my best friends and her husband and daughter here at The Lake for a few days. I've been cleaning and prepping for days. Plus, I've had all the other daily stuff that needs doing on my To Do List. All the beds have clean sheets on them. All the bathrooms are clean and have CLEAN towels. I've got possible menus dancing about in my brain. In the meantime....

I made two loaves of 9-Grain bread. I went shopping...grocery shopping...with the goal of tempting the most demanding pallet. I even went out and bought the sweetest of sweet corn and the juiciest and best of vine-ripened tomatoes. I've got prime ribeye steaks thawing...but....also....bratwurst. There's nothing like grilled bratwurst with sweet onions and sauerkraut. So many options. And...BW Babe and JC offered their pontoon boat for an evening ride out on the lake. Appetizer night.

And then, today...I ran out to dust my tomato plants and water the plants on the upper deck. It's amazing how much water container and Earthboxes need this time of year, even with the cooler temperatures. Plus...I needed to do some "wining". Clarification. I needed to add the stabilizer and special "stuff" to the wine that I've been making to clarify the end product. It won't be long now before I'll be bottling.

Meanwhile, BW Babe called me this morning. We're part of the "Oreo Generation"...which isn't all that big of a deal...at this point... but, on occasion, issues come up that need attention. "Hello, we're from the government and we're here to..." ACK!!! God Bless America! Somehow, my Dad's Social Security check went missing. BW Babe and Me to the rescue. Thankfully, we didn't have to drive all the way to Superior, Wisconsin to take care of the problem. Thankfully, my folks moved to an assisted living facility that is serviced by a Social Security office...closer to home. Such would not be the case if they still lived here at The Lake. Thankfully, both my folks are still able to communicate (off and on) and we were able to add BW Babe onto their SS account so she could take over maintenance of their SS account...just in case...in the future. All this took over three HOURS but...it could have been worse. The guy who eventually helped us when our number was called wasn't too nasty and short with us. So...it's this bad at the Social Security office...and don't get me started with the DMV office....and BW Babe sat on hold waiting to have someone help her with my folks' Medicare problems for several hours...so....add on to this Obamacare? I don't want to even think about it.

I have a package waiting for me at the post office here at The Lake but I didn't get back home in time after "a day in the city" to collect it. I'll have to check the mail tomorrow morning before my guests arrive and pick up the local free newspaper, The Early Bird. I have a long To Do List before everyone gets here tomorrow afternoon. *sigh* The house was vacuumed yesterday but Stan came and mowed and now I managed to spread grass-clippings EVERYWHERE and Kylee felt the need to spread more shedding fur so...I'll be vacuuming again tomorrow morning. It'll all get done but I know my friends don't care if it gets done or not so...that's what good friends do...or don't. I can't wait to see them tomorrow and share special Lake-Time with them.

~~~~

Random Quote of the Day

Don't be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid.

John Keats (1795 - 1821)

No comments: