Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Snow on the Roof...before I attacked it with a roof rake.

Word of the Day

Snirt - Piles of snow mixed with sand and dirt which can be seen in most cities, piled by the side of the roads by snow plows.


Exhaustion! Shopping with my folks didn't wear me out. No...really! I was fine when I came home after stopping at the post office, racing after my Mom through the hardware superstore (my Mom can MOVE and she has a tendency to disappear on occasion if you don't keep up with her), exploring the discount grocery store, meandering through the local Farm & Fleet (where I bought some winter boots and a couple pairs of flannel-lined jeans), shopping at the MarketPlace grocery store, and then finishing up at the Kwik Trip (cheapest onions and eggs). Nope. I wasn't tired. Even when I sorted and hauled all my loot out of my folks' car and loaded it into my car, avoided getting stuck on a slippery spot on my folks' 3/4 mile driveway, drove home, and unloaded all the stuff I bought and even put it all away. Well...I still need to haul a few more things down to the basement but...I wasn't tired. No....really! I'm weird that way. I happen to like shopping.

Exhaustion! Excited about my new pairs of flannel-lined jeans and winter boots and the hoody (a hooded sweatshirt) that I bought that's supposed to keep me warm, even in a blizzard, I decided to try out my new winter outfits AND the roof rake that I borrowed from my Dad. After hacking and raking and hacking and raking, I managed to get some of the snow off the north-facing edges of our roof. I hope I was able to get enough of the snow off to prevent ice dams...at least I tried. Then...after wearing myself out with this bit of exercise, I noted that I'd piled up a LOT of snow right where it would get in the way when HTP needs to drive the car into the garage later tonight. Not good. *sigh* So...I took the roof rake apart, put it away and...already tired, I exhausted myself by shoveling off the driveway so HTP won't get mad when he gets home from The Big City later tonight.

My new boots worked great! My feet remained warm and dry. My new jeans kept me warm and comfy! The blizzard-rated hoody kept me so warm that I was tempted to take it off. I'm looking forward to taking a few winter hikes with Gypsy....who....demanded to go back inside the house where she'd be safe the minute she saw me dragging snow off the roof with the roof rake. Right now, she's sleeping in a sunny spot on the couch.

Random Thought of the Day

Why are women and men's shoe sizes different?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

No comments: