Sunday, May 02, 2010


My Boat is Waiting

Word of the Day

Submiss - To click a "submit" button that fails to function properly.


Woodtick Count - 7

Yesterday was the first day of fishing here at The Lake. Sadly, the first day of fishing was definitely a bust....at least for me. There's no way that I'd ever consider going fishing with the wind blowing so hard out there. However, there are some die hard fishermen out there in boats. I know that Sis' hubby and his friend have been out too. Brrrr. I'm not sure how anyone was keeping anchored with all that wind. White caps and huge waves. It was definite rock the boat weather. Our thermometer read 59 degrees outside. I'm not sure what the wind chill was but it felt darn cold. I was hoping that things would calm down a bit by supper time but they didn't.

Instead, despite the fact that it's still too cold to plant anything outside, I did plant another four tomato plants in containers outside down off my lower deck (2 Best Boys, 1 Italia, and 1 Mexicana -- four of the ones that I grew from seed and these four were getting a bit leggy and toppling over in their inside pots -- the rest aren't so big and can wait until Mother's Day?). I'll cover my eight pioneering tomato plants with empty pots (just in case) when I take Kylee out for our last perimeter check each night. I've got more tomato plants that I can possibly use this year so I'm hoping that Sis and Mom are going to take some of my surplus. As it is, I'll be planting more than twice as many tomato plants this summer than I planted last summer. If they all do well, I'll be canning lots of tomatoes and making lots of V-8 Juice.

Things looked a bit more promising, fish-wise, today but, alas, the wind resumed to the extent that I decided it would be best to see if things will get better tomorrow. Instead, I picked, cleaned, and froze two quarts of dandelion blossoms with the making of Dandelion Wine on my mind. In the course of picking the dandelion blossoms, I also acquired four woodticks. One must pay a price for one's art...hobby. I tasted a bit of the dandelion wine Sis and I made a couple of years ago. At the risk of breaking my arm, patting myself on the back, I must say that Sis and I did a terrific job on that wine. Yummm!!! So yummy that I'll probably risk more woodticks in the coming days (and green and yellow finger syndrome) to collect and process another pound and a half of dandelions. Also, ecologically speaking, every dandelion blossom that I pick lessens the amount of dandelion seeds blowing all over my lawn and I won't need to worry so much about using weed-killer.

Random Thought of the Day

Are children who act in rated 'R' movies allowed to see them?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her.

- Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)

No comments: