Wednesday, May 21, 2003

15 More Days before I leave for Wisconsin and "The Lake"

Update on the Digital Crisis

I never did get that promised call from the Cox cable service representative. I don't blame her. She must have had one really really bad day. I hope Cox cable offers its service representatives hazard pay. Our digital cable came back on line at around 4 PM. I can't be certain of the time because I was reading a book. I did watch the news but there are only so many things that can be said about the possibility that the terror alert might be raised to ORANGE and believe me I'm pretty darn sure that I heard them all. Then more BREAKING NEWS, the terror alert actually was raised to ORANGE. There are only so many things that can be said about the ORANGE status of alert. I listened for a while but turned off the TV before anyone could tell me to dig out my duct tape. I turned the TV back on when I noticed that my cable box was telling me what time it was. This is one of those much advertised, very expensive, wonderful "you will never be able live without this feature" features of digital cable. The experts were still expounding on the BREAKING NEWS that the terror level had been raised to ORANGE. Since nothing else seemed to be BREAKING, I turned off the TV again and finished my book. I feel so much better now that the digital crisis is over.

I was late getting out of bed this morning and it's all because of Janet Napolitano.

Every morning I wake up to my clock radio. Actually this statement isn't exactly true. Anyone who knows me, knows that I wake up 5 minutes before the clock radio turns on. I don't like being startled awake. So sue me. Anyway, this morning, to be truthful, I woke of at 5:49 AM, which isn't exactly 5 minutes before the clock radio was supposed to turn on but why should you care? When the clock radio finally went off at 6 AM, I wasn't startled awake. The news was starting. I like to listen to talk radio on occasion, so the clock radio was set to my favorite talk radio station. At 6 AM, they have a fairly decent news segment so I often will lay in bed until the news is over and then hop up and do whatever I need to do to make my little world run smoothly. But this morning, I was listening to the news and what should I hear but the voice of Janet Napolitano telling everyone who might seem interested, that"I have no tolerance for intolerance". I lay there in shock. She's Arizona's new governor. How could she actually let that kind of statement pass her lips? I'm thinking, "Did she just say what I think she just said?". She says she's intolerant of people who are intolerant?! I lay there in bed remembering all the similar sort of things that have been said over the ages. I've heard people say that they hate people who hate. I've read graffiti condemning graffiti. Now, I've heard the Governor of Arizona say that she is intolerant of intolerance. I know that she didn't really mean it. I know she actually meant that she had no tolerance for racial or religious intolerance because the news story was about the near fatal shooting of a gentleman of Indian background. (Apparently, some idiotic, stupid, intolerant person mistook the man for someone from the Middle-east and shot the poor guy.) I couldn't agree more with her intolerance but I just couldn't get past her actual statement. She actually said that she was intolerant of....herself? My mind kept going on and on about it until....I got up late. Thank you very much Janet Napolitano. Because of her stupid statement of the morning, I lay there in stunned silence until I was jerked out of my shock by the even dumber talk radio host of the morning who was angry because someone complained that Nicole Kidman was seen lighting up a cigarette at a news event. Apparently, the dumb talk radio show host of the morning smokes and thereby was showing no tolerance for anyone who would be intolerant of smokers. So the theme of the morning was, intolerance. And I had to drive my son to school because he missed his bus because I was late getting out of bed. And it's all because of Janet Napolitano.

No comments: