Saturday, May 31, 2003

5 More Days before I leave for Wisconsin and "The Lake"

It's 85° F already this morning and it's not even 9 AM yet. Actually 85°F isn't all that bad. The only reason it's that cool is that we've had a fluke weather pattern here that is mimicking the late July monsoonal flow. Good grief! I sound like a weather person. Anyway, we've had two straight nights with dust storms which have made a mess out of my yard. So I have to add to my To Do list. Sweep the patios.....again. I asked my daughter if I should bring her anything from Arizona when we see her on our way to Wisconsin. She lives in Nebraska. I had to laugh though because I thought of this Cliche of the Day as I made the offer. I hope she doesn't ask me to:

Carry Coals To Newcastle. Do something superfluous. Newcastle is in the heart of the main coal-mining region in England. It would therefore be the last place where one would want or need to lug coal. The expression was recorded as common in the 16th century by John Heywood, a compiler of familiar English sayings. Thomas Fuller defined the term in 1662: "That is to do what was done before; or to busy one's self in a needless imployment."

No comments: