Tuesday, May 27, 2003

9 More Days before I leave for Wisconsin and "The Lake"

I forgot that today wasn't Monday. It's Tuesday. Yesterday wasn't Sunday, it was Monday. Yesterday was Monday. Today is Tuesday. This may seem repetitive but I need to keep repeating this until my mind grasps this concept. I often face this problem when there is a three-day weekend. It takes me a while to get myself back into the proper mindset. Today is Tuesday. It's laundry day. I now have to gather all the laundry from all the hidden corners of the house, sort by color, and then start my first load. My son is the one that reminded me that today was Tuesday. He told me that his dirty laundry was in his basket, on the chair in his room and that he couldn't find his wallet. He tells me all this as he's racing out the door so he can catch his bus. I'm still in shock that he not only remembered that it's Tuesday (I didn't) but that he managed to collect all of his dirty laundry and put it in a basket. I better check the pockets of his jeans for his wallet. Tuesday is my laundry day. I always do laundry on Tuesday. Always. I refuse to ruin my whole week doing one load one day, half a load the next day and a couple of loads the next. If the clothes aren't available for me to wash on a Tuesday, they won't get washed until the next Tuesday. Consistancy is key. Laundry doesn't take a holiday. If Laundry Day falls on a holiday, laundry gets done. I suppose that's why my son remembered that today is Tuesday...or maybe he just ran out of clean underware. There are exceptions to every rule. If I'm halfway to or from Wisconsin, I don't search out a laundromat to do the laundry. I may be set in my ways but I'm not crazy. I'm going to go and do laundry now. But first I'd better go get a cup of coffee so I don't hurt anyone.

*****

Cliche of the Day

Babble Like a Brook. Chatter enthusiastically and perhaps rather incoherently. Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" speaks of "the brook that babbles by." The phrase is onomatopoetic, that is, the words as spoken resemble the sound of a running brook. A person chattering aimlessly on sounds somewhat the same.

No comments: