Wednesday, June 04, 2008


Viola Garden - 2007

Word of the Day

Humilify - Gently humiliating; putting someone in their place by citing an example of their incompetence.


We were only in The Big City for one overnight! But when we left my dog kennel garden was still sleeping. I was shocked to see the difference just one night could bring. The seeds are popping like the popping corn that HTP cooks up in the frying pan on the top of the stove. Most of the peas are up. Most of the beans are up. The lettuce is up and I can see that I'll have to thin it out. I even have radishes! I wasn't expecting to see that seed sprout. It was REALLY old seed. I only planted it because I found it in a jar at the bottom of my gardening drawer. Radishes? Supposedly, radishes are the easiest thing that a gardener can grow. All the garden books tell me this. Hah! I beg to differ with the garden books. I can't grow radishes! At least I can't grow radishes here at The Lake. I used to grow great radishes in Arizona. Anyway, I've tried growing radishes here at The Lake. I think the soil is too....something. I get lots of green tops but no actual radish root. After trying to grow radishes for two summers, I gave up. It wasn't worth the waste of garden space. I stuck these seeds on the edge of my lettuce beds. I figured that if they sprouted, they'd at least keep the weeds down until the lettuce was big enough to start harvesting. I still have no faith that I'll actually get edible radishes from my garden. I'm still waiting on the zucchini to sprout. I'm beginning to wonder if Walmart sold me some faulty seeds. Only half of the seeds that I planted in the Earthbox have come up so far. None of the hills in the garden have sprouted. It has been rather cool outside so....I'll wait for a bit longer before tucking in more seeds. The thing is, the growing season here at The Lake isn't all that long. It looks like this year's growing season is going to be even shorter than average.

Murphyism of the Day

Marshall's First Law of the Legislature


Never let the facts get in the way of a carefully thought-out bad decision.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Our greatest pretenses are built up not to hide the evil and the ugly in us, but our emptiness. The hardest thing to hide is something that is not there.

- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

No comments: