Friday, November 20, 2009



Word of the Day

Skrilla - Money; cash to be spent freely, not saved.


I've never been fond of cream-style corn. It's one of those foods that end up reminding me of baby food. Texture and taste is paramount with me when it comes to food. I've always felt that cream-style corn came up lacking when it came to both texture and taste. Blech! I happen to prefer chewing my corn off the cob. In a pinch, I'll settle for canned whole kernel corn. Since I've always done most of the cooking in my family, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I bought and cooked cream-style corn. How selfish of me? Well...I happen to love beets and since none of the rest of the family liked them...I never bought or cooked beets...after that one time. I always had to quench my craving for beets at salad bar buffets. However, having said all that, I do happen to like the way HTP's Mom used to cook something she called Scalloped Corn Casserole. Maybe this was because I do like egg custard (another food item that I don't often have the opportunity to enjoy because HTP hates it) and was willing to overlook the addition of cream-style corn. I imagine HTP was equally willing to overlook the egg custardy part of the recipe in order to get to the cream-style corn. Oh well, to each his..or her own. I remembered that HTP's sister sent me her Mom's recipe a long time ago...when I was entertaining HTP's folks for a Thanksgiving dinner but for some reason or other, I just haven't been able to find the recipe that she'd sent me. It's probably sitting on some computer hard-drive somewhere in some landfill. HTP was able to find the recipe that his Grandma used to use which sounded good but HTP's sister came to the rescue. HTP's Mom used a different recipe than HTP's Grandma. So...long story short, I'll be making Scalloped Corn Casserole as one of our side dishes this Thanksgiving.

Random Thought of the Day

Support bacteria. They're the only culture most people will ever have.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Maturity is only a short break in adolescence.

- Jules Feiffer (1929 - )

No comments: