Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bellwort


 



Word of the Day

Smashal - Small pieces of broken glass, metal and other debris that remains at the scene of an accident for months after.


My dental surgery went well yesterday morning. I now have a peg which needs to rest in my jaw with bone tissue growing around it for the next three months. I'm feeling just fine. My jaw feels a bit bruised but other than that and the slight irritation from some sutures and the novacaine...I'm good. However, the dentist said, no exercise today. *sigh* Does hiking count as exercise?

The forester showed up at 8:30 AM. My brother-in-law arrived shortly afterward. After topping off the forester's coffee and providing Sis' hubby with coffee, we headed out to hike my property here at The Lake. The forester had hiked my brother's property last winter. The plan was to combine logging of my property with my brother's adjoining property. However, it now looks like my property has enough saw log timber to be logged on its own. It's best to log the property rather than let old timber die and rot. I also think that we may enter the forest management system which will help on the property taxes. Anyway, two hours later, we'd hiked a great portion of the property. The mosquitoes didn't bother me a bit. I was worried a bit by woodtick. It's prime woodtick season. However, I sprayed myself fairly liberally before heading out. Sis' hubby found a couple of deer tick crawling on him but I haven't added to my own personal woodtick count....yet. I checked. I came home wet to the knees so stripped off and checked for critters. Nada.

The forester was very knowledgeable and pointed out all kinds of interesting facts. We've got both white and red oak on our property. He's going to leave the white oak. However, the red oak need to be thinned, the ash need to be removed before the ash beetle gets here, and some of the mature maples need to be taken out. He identified a leather bush which was very interesting. Sis' hubby is going to try to transplant some into his no-mow zone between his house and the lake. The ferns are starting to leaf out, bellwort is blossoming along with trillium and yellow and blue violets. Ramps are almost past their prime. We even stumbled across groupings of Jack in the Pulpit. We had a very instructive hike. Loved it. The forester will be getting back to me with a contract and then come back to mark the trees that will be removed by various loggers.

The sun has finally come out and if things dry out a bit more, I plan to start on pruning the raspberrie. I'm a bit tired from the hike but I NEED to get those raspberries pruned. It should have been done weeks ago. I'll see how I feel after I finish up the laundry and take out the garbage.

Random Quote of the Day

Posterity is as likely to be wrong as anyone else.

Heywood Broun (1888 - 1939), Sitting on the World, 1924

No comments: