Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Swinging


Word of the Day

Siplets - To Take tiny sips when one's beverage is scalding hot.

Congratulations are in order for #1 DIL. She graduated last night, earning her Master's degree. #1 Son and the entire family are very proud of her. Way to go #1 DIL!

We got another 2/3 of an inch of rain last night. We did lose power last night. It was just long enough so I have to reset clocks but not long enough for the generator to kick in. Come to think of it, I haven't heard the generator cycle since I've been back here at The Lake. That doesn't mean too much because I haven't exactly been listening for it. We replaced the battery last summer so it should be OK. However, I'll have to make a point to listen for the generator to cycle on Monday. It is Wet! I'm going to have to plan indoor activities today. Of course, I have plenty of indoor activities that need doing. I'm thinking that maybe today would be a good day for Grandma to make play dough. Tammy is only two but I think she may enjoy it.

After watching the news about the devastation of the tornadoes that have torn through Oklahoma this week, I'm thinking of safety measures here at The Lake should a tornado blow through here. My basement has LOTS of windows which makes flying class a real problem, however, I think we'd all still be safe. I feel good that my guests would already be safely situated close to safety in the basement. However, the safest place in my basement is the hallway...with all the windows to the bedrooms, bathroom, and bonus room closed. I'd feel a lot better if there were some sort of way of securing the basement windows to keep them safe but, my basement hallway and, if necessary, the furnace room should keep us all safe. Thankfully, we've only had one tornado watch this spring but it never hurts to have a plan.

I think we had a visit from a bear the other night. One of my bluebird houses was ripped from the split-rail fence by my driveway. I saw it laying on the ground last night. When I went to investigate this morning, I noted that the birdhouse had some huge, deep scratches on it as if something was trying to open it. Thankfully, T-Square made my little bluebird house sturdy and the house wasn't destroyed. I was easily able to use the old nails and reinstall the house back onto the fence. After cleaning it out, I went to check my other bluebird house. It, too, had large scratches on it but remained attached to the split-rail fence at the top of Blueberry Hill. Both birdhouses have been cleaned out and are awaiting future residents. Hopefully, Mr. Bear, having missed finding any tasty bird egss, will move on to find easier targets.

Random Quote of the Day

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.

Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849)


No comments: