Friday, May 24, 2013

Tammy Picked a Bouquet for Grandma

Little Jon Wants to Sit on T-Square's Lap Too
T-Square and Great-Grand-daughter Tammy
Ma with Great-grandson Little Jon
Ma with Great-grand-daughter Tammy

Word of the Day

Slowmobile - Any vehicle that turns in front of one's path on the highway and cuts their traveling speed in half.

We had a full day yesterday. Too many pictures to cover it. Sarge, Tammy, Little Jon and I all drove into town to pick up the mail and visit the park near the church. Turns out that there was a rummage sale at the church which made for fun times for Grandma. I didn't really buy all that much but the women of the church went ga-ga over Little Jon. He is quite the charmer with the ladies.

Then, as we were loading up the kids into the car, this "person" decided to park his car right next to us, pressuring us with the loading process. A few choice thoughts were going through our head before it dawned on us that it was Sis' hubby. Uncle G! He told us that T-Square and Ma were up at their place at The Lake, picking up much needed supplies for their apartment in the city. Yes!

Hurrying home, I called Sis (T-Square and Ma don't have a functioning phone at The Lake) and she walked up to the hill to talk to them for me to tell them that we'd love to have them join us for dinner but failing that, just stop by to visit before heading back to their apartment in the city. And, it was so.

Tammy and Little Jon loved the chance to visit with their Great-grandparents. Ma told Tammy to call her GG since Great-grandma is quite a mouthfull for a two-year-old.

Later that evening, Sis and her hubby came over for a dinner of steaks on the grill, salt-crusted potatoes and salad....and yummy cherry pie for dessert. We got to visit at leisure. Unfortunately, we all seemed to forget to take any pictures. Fail. Oh well, we did some great pictures with everyone while Sarge and the kidlets were here for their visit.

Meanwhile, I had to run out before dark to cover all my new vegetable plants overnight. *sigh* The Weather Channel was predicting overnight temperatures of 33 degrees. That's a very iffy temperature that could dip down into freezing. I wasn't going to take any chances, having spent so much time and effort planting everything and chasing away wild animals. I'm glad I did because at midnight, when I woke up to remember that I'd failed to bring the hanging plant that Sarge gave me for Mother's Day inside to protect it, it was already down to 34 degrees. I tiptoed downstairs in my jammies, quietly opened the basement door out to the patio, crossed the patio and lawn in bare feet, grabbed the hanging plant and brought it inside, and was successfully able to sneak part way back up the stairs when Sarge came out of her room in a panic. She'd heard noises and thought that Tammy might be making a break for it....or someone or something was trying to break in. She was relieved that it was only me....at midnight...sneaking around the house.

My plants made it through the night. I uncovered them as soon as temperatures rose above 40 degrees. My basil got a little damaged but I think it'll recover. Only a few leaves looked blackened. I don't think it's supposed to get so cold tonight.

Squirrel update. I notice a fat squirrel up on my deck, munching on something this morning. It looked like a clod of dirt. Stupid squirrel grabbed some dirt from my only unprotected Earthboxes. While I was outside, taking care of the problem, I noticed that a key part for the Earthbox staking system was missing. Darn it! Now I'll have to contact the Earthbox people and order a replacement. I have NO idea what that darn squirrel plans to do with that part but it's gone. I've checked the entire deck. I called Earthbox to order a replacement part. When I explained the situation to Vicki, at customer service, she was very helpful. Apparently, she thought my dilemma was very amusing. My new part will be arriving some time next week. As soon as the grandkids leave, I'm thinking about getting a little target practice in with an air-soft rifle. It might help with my chipmunk situation too.

Random Quote of the Day

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.

Truman Capote (1924 - 1984)

No comments: