Thursday, September 25, 2008


Sis and Me With Our Vintage 2007 Wines - Our Vintage 2008 Wines didn't all fit on one table...Sis has the pictures.

Word of the Day

Loseronic - Describing a complete and utter loser.


#1 Son returned to The Big City after breakfast. I loaded up a cooler with things from the freezer and fridge. We won't see him now until next summer.

Today was wine-making day. After I sterilized the bottles, I went to pick Sis up at her place. Today was spent bottling all the wine that we've been brewing all summer. LOTS of wine. When all was said and done, we ended up with 152 bottles of wine. Exhaustion. Sis' husband stopped over to see us after he got home from work and Sis drafted him to help out or we'd still be at it. HTP made our labels. Sis' husband stuck labels on bottles. I managed to burn out my hair-dryer (used to put the special shrink wrap over the necks of the bottles) so Sis and I had to go over and retrieve her hair-dryer. We packed up Sis' portion of the wine and by this time it was well past 7 PM. I packed half of my portion of the wine to go back to Arizona. I took the rest of the wine down to my "wine cellar" to store here until next summer. Sis and I made LOTS of wine this summer. We think we might have ended up making twice as much wine as last year. It's a good thing that I've been saving all those used wine bottles over the years. We ended up using most of my stash. In the end, we had 30 bottles of Dandelion Wine, a mere 10 bottles of Currant Wine, 19 bottles of Strawberry Wine, 21 bottles of Rhubarb/Strawberry Wine, 50 bottles of Rhubarb Wine, and 27 bottles of Prickly Gooseberry Wine. Bottles of wine all over the kitchen. 92 (375ml) bottles and 60 (750ml) bottles. I guess I'll have to start collecting more wine bottles for next summer.

So what's on tap for tomorrow? Sis and I plan to start a batch of Blackberry Wine. She's going to have to take on this project over the winter months. Me? I plan to start some more Pomegranate Wine and maybe some Prickly Pear Wine when I get back to Arizona. I wonder if I'll have any tangelos on my tree so I can make Tancello?

Murphyism of the Day

Fourth Law of Applied Confusion

In any structure, pick out the one piece that should not be mismarked and expect the plant to cross you up.

Corollaries

1. In any group of pieces with the same erection mark on it, one should not have that mark on it.

2. It will not be discovered until you try to put it where the mark says it's supposed to go.

3. Never argue with the fabricating plant about an error. The inspection prints are all checked off, even to the holes that aren't there.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

We inherit from our ancestors gifts so often taken for granted... Each of us contains within... this inheritance of soul. We are links between the ages, containing past and present expectations, sacred memories and future promise.

- Edward Sellner

No comments: