Friday, October 26, 2007


DD Daughter - Halloween 1980

Word of the Day

Dillrelict - The last pickle in the jar that avoids all attempts to be captured.


I'm exhausted and I still have a way to go before I sleep. My wine-making supplies came in the mail yesterday afternoon. I had no excuses left not to pick my pomegranates. Lots of pomegranates. I stopped counting but I picked enough to start four batches of pomegranate wine and still have plenty of pomegranates leftover for juice. Right after breakfast I tackled the job of picking the pomegranates and trimming the pomegranate tree back...quite a bit of trimming. I called my neighbor to ask if she wanted to try and root some. I'm told that you can root the cuttings and end up with more pomegranate trees. I don't need any more pomegranate trees...one provides more than enough pomegranates for me and HTP. I just figured my neighbor might want her own tree. Anyway, my pomegranate tree was planted near our AC unit which wouldn't/shouldn't have been a problem except the pomegranate tree seems to want to engulf the AC unit. I had to trim back all the branches that were draping themselves over the unit. Then....I counted out the number of pomegranates I had to see how many batches of wine I would be making. I wouldn't know how many pounds of white raisins I'd need to buy until I knew how many pomegranates I had. Plus, I wanted to experiment with some prickly pear wine. So...off to the store I went. 5# of white raisin. 15# of sugar. 8 prickly pears. That was the extent of my shopping. This was the easy part.

I started a batch of prickly pear wine and it's sitting in a bucket in my guest bedroom/library/wine cellar. I only ended up with a couple of cactus spines in my fingers. Not bad. I hope I can say the same for the wine. Then....I started cleaning the pomegranates. I'm still cleaning the pomegranates. I only have 12 more pomegranates to clean and squish before I can get my pomegranate wine started and settled into the guest bedroom/library/wine cellar to sit next to the prickly pear stuff. I'll have plenty more pomegranates that I will be cleaning in the coming days but I want to get the wine started so it'll start working and be well on its way and ready to bottle before I head back to Wisconsin next spring. I'll clean and make juice of the rest of my pomegranates when I feel more up to the task.

I'm taking a break from pomegranate cleaning so I can write my blog and because my fingers are all pruney and starting to look a bit discolored and strange. Besides, I hate to leave poor Gypsy all by her lonesome too long. She likes to sit at my feet while I blog. I hate to deprive her of all that toe-licking.

Murphyism of the Day

Linus's Law


There is no heavier burden than a great potential.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Winning may not be everything, but losing has little to recommend it.

-- Senator Dianne Feinstein

No comments: