Monday, May 12, 2008




Enjoying Mother's Day at The Lake - 2008

Word of the Day

Helloha - An endearing greeting.


I've got birds! I saw my first goldfinch yesterday. I saw an oriole at my oriole feeder this morning. And I saw my first hummingbird on Saturday. These are my milestone birds but I've seen quite a variety of birds other than my "milestones". I've seen blue jays, cowbirds, grosbeak, woodpeckers, nuthatches, and chickadees. I saw my first robin yesterday...not at my feeder. Robins don't visit my feeders. They're a ground feeder. Spring is starting to think about arriving. I know. Spring, according to the calendar, is already here. I woke up to a temperature of 36°F. I'll acknowledge Spring as soon as I see leaves budding out on the trees and trilliums blooming in the woods. However, the return of my milestone birds is a promising beginning.

Spring is late this year. I had my garden planted by Mother's Day last year. This year? It's too cold. Maybe I'll have my garden planted by Memorial Day....that's my goal. I may get my Earthboxes planted. The temperature on my deck (south side of the house)tend to be a lot warmer than those out in my garden. They tell me that April was the coldest April on record. I've noted that the global warming fanatics have changed their tune. They've become global climate change fanatics now. Oh well... I have gotten out to prune the dead canes out of my tame raspberry beds. I've got blooming violas in my flower beds. Spring will eventually come and I'll start complaining about how hot it is outside.

Murphyism of the Day

Todd's Two Political Principles


1. No matter what they're telling you, they're not telling you the whole truth.

2. No matter what they're talking about, they're talking about money.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

- Andy and Larry Wachowski

No comments: