Wednesday, May 21, 2008


My Swingset

Word of the Day

Hipular - Popular with the "hip" crowd.


Woodtick Count - 6

Poor Gypsy spent most of the day in her kennel yesterday. She's just too curious when it comes to what her humans are doing. It was just safer for her to be in her kennel while HTP and I were loading up the Sidekick with heavy logs and then driving said Sidekick to the logging road to stack them. I lost track of how many round trips we made. Actually, looking at the stacks of logs that we made, it doesn't really look like five oak trees worth of logs. Somehow, when someone cuts them up into neat little logs and stacks them in a neat little woodpile, it doesn't look like all that much. Since HTP and I weren't here while the cutting was being done (That Tree Guy came while HTP and I were in The Big City), we have no idea how long it took to get the trees downed and sawed up...or how long it took for him to pile up those two huge piles of branches and twigs that can't be classified as logs. I do know that HTP and I started hauling logs in the Sidekick at right after breakfast and we didn't get done until close to 3 PM. That's a five hour workout. Thankfully, during our entire workout, not a single deerfly or mosquito or wasp or bee or horsefly showed up to zing around our heads. Woodticks? I didn't see any but HTP had a couple (not included in my woodtick count).

After that workout, I dismissed the thought of even sitting down at the kitchen table to plan out my garden. Physically planting my garden is going to have to wait for another day or so. I'm giving my knees a rest. As it was, I discovered that walking backwards down the stairs to the basement to switch out the laundry loads, was a neat trick because for some reason putting my body in reverse while going down didn't bring about the stabbing pain in my right knee that was starting to occur every time I'd want to go down the steps or the hill in a forward gear. My knee had no problems going up the stairs and up the hill. I have a feeling we're talking about one tiny little tendon amongst many in my knee which could use a bit more exercise. I bet if I looked it up on the Internet that I could find some neat exercises that would strengthen that little bugger. However, I did give it quite the workout yesterday and a couple of stabbing pains to remind me that I'm getting older weren't all that unreasonable...come to think of it.

Murphyism of the Day

The Guppy Law


When outrageous expenditures are divided finely enough, the public will not have enough stake in any one expenditure to squelch it.

Corollary

Enough guppies can eat a treasury.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

- Henry J. Kaiser (1882 - 1967)

No comments: