Friday, May 23, 2008


The Juneberry Bushes are Blooming - May 2008

Word of the Day

Hollymongering - Insisting forcibly that others participate in festivities and/or holiday activities.


Woodtick Count - 11

Woohoo! My teeth received a clean bill of health! I won't have to see the dentist again until next year! Knock on wood.

While in the city, HTP and I noted that almost all the gas stations were selling bark chips. We bought twelve huge bags of the stuff (it was on sale). I had planned to kick back and relax a bit today but....

I really need to spray the weeds that keep coming up. I can't spread bark chips on the flower beds until the weeds are sprayed. HTP mixed up a couple gallons of weedkiller for me so all I have to do is put Gypsy in the kennel and spray the weeds. Weedkiller is not good for puppies...snoopy puppies. It's supposed to rain on Sunday so my thoughts of kicking back and doing nothing more than working on a Sudoku puzzle are floating off into dream territory. Especially since....

That Tree Guy came last night and cut down up the rest of the logs that were too big and while he was at it cut back the stumps a bit more. I foresee at least one more bit of log hauling and stacking. Probably only one or more trips in the Sidekick. I gave him his check. HTP and I got our burn permit the other day so we can have as many bonfires as we like for an entire year....in Wisconsin.

My garden is all planted and watered. I planted one Earthbox with eggplant, one Earthbox with zucchini (three yellow and three green), one Earthbox with bush cucumbers, one Earthbox with Italian peppers, one Earthbox with First Lady tomatoes, and one Earthbox with Brandywine tomatoes. Out in my raised bed "dog kennel" gardens, I planted sugar snap peas, bush cucumbers, Italian green beans, burgundy beans, wax beans, two more varieties of green beans (all bush varieties...we eat a lot of beans), two First Lady tomatoes, two Brandywine tomatoes, a Sweet Cherry tomato, two eggplant, six bush-style cucumbers, three hills of zucchini, a couple varieties of leaf lettuce, and some set onions. In my container garden pots, I have oregano, sweet basil, hot peppers, parsley and cilantro. I can sit back now (as far as the vegetable garden) and watch things grow....as long as things warm up a bit and as long as the squirrels and birds don't snack on the seeds. Temperature-wise, it looks more like May 1st than May 23rd outside.

Murphyism of the Day

Good's Rule of Dealing with Bureaucracies


When the government bureau's remedies do not match your problem, you modify the problem, not the remedy.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.

- Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988)

No comments: