Tuesday, August 25, 2009


Hiking the Logging Road - Sis 2008

Word of the Day

Scholarshipping - 1. The act of an organization giving out awards. 2. The act of a student actively hunting for scholarships to finance their education.

Woodtick Count of the Day - 42

Sis and I went out hunting yesterday. Hunting the wild blackberry. Unfortunately, our hunt wasn't all that successful. We "might" have picked a quart of berries but...there wasn't nearly enough to make blackberry wine...or even jam. That makes three years that the blackberries haven't produced. In the past, we've been able to pick pails full of berries. Last year's drought, last winter's REALLY cold temperatures, a late frost this spring, not enough rain this summer....all these may be reasons for Sis and my meager findings. Oh well...maybe next year. Sis will be spending more time figuring out her new Blackberry than cleaning its namesake berries.

We've got rain! It's so dark outside right now, you'd think it was evening instead of morning. I almost didn't bother getting out of bed this morning but the livestock needed feeding. Gypsy and I slipped outside for her morning walk during a break in the rain...a very short break. My non-digital rain gauge is registering an inch and a half of rain...and the rain is still coming down. I'm not complaining. We really need the rain. Besides, it's Laundry Day. However, I'm glad Sis and I did our hiking yesterday, albeit unproductive, because today wouldn't be the day for it.

Speaking of whining, which I wasn't, Sis and I need to rack the wine this week.

Murphyism of the Day

Matz's Warning


Beware of the physician who is great at getting out of trouble.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882)

No comments: