Saturday, August 08, 2009



Word of the Day

Schlank - The liquid that comes out of a brass instrument after being played and then left in cooler temperatures.


It's summer at last! The hot and humid weather rolled in just before I went outside to pick my raspberries this afternoon. I always wait until the plants have a chance to dry off from whatever precipitation or dew that may show up over night or in the early morning hours. By the time I'd finished picking the berries, I had body fluids dripping off my nose. Women don't sweat, they glow...or so I'm told. Well...I was glowing so much that I was creating precipitation.

I made three more batches of jam/jelly today. One batch of sugarless raspberry jelly, one batch of sugarless rhubarb jam, and one batch of raspberry jam (from which I removed over half of the seeds). I seem to be making a great deal of jam and jelly this summer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any evidence of a large crop of wild blackberries this year. Of course, I haven't hiked the logging road. Today was NOT a good day to undertake this sort of exercise. Hot and humid weather doesn't lend itself to strenuous activities. Heck, I didn't even bother to pick the beans today. Picking the raspberries was enough to wear me out.

HTP and I enjoyed our first taste of sweet corn for the season. It wasn't the best sweet corn that I've ever tasted but it was still quite tasty and hit the spot. Although I grilled steaks for both HTP and me, I enjoyed a meat-free supper tonight. HTP never understands the concept of having a meal that consists merely of one item...SWEET CORN. To him, it's just a side dish. Sweet corn was never treated as a mere side dish in my family. Sweet corn WAS the meal. And what a wonderful meal it is. Of course, HTP doesn't understand the simple enjoyment of having herring on toast for breakfast either. Poor man.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of Supercession


In court, Murphy's Law supersedes local, state, and federal law.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.

- Flannery O'Connor

No comments: