Saturday, August 01, 2009



Word of the Day

Scanter - A brisk, yet leisurely pace. Slower than a gallop, yet faster than a leisurely stroll.


Busy, busy. Yesterday and today were spent catching up on all the things that I haven't been able to take care of for one reason or another. I got my blueberries picked and the netting removed from most of the bushes. I only left two bushes covered which still had enough unripe berries to make it worth the effort.

The raspberries demanded picking and I had to tie up an area of bushes where the raccoons trampled them. The raccoons also emptied a hummingbird feeder and my oriole feeder (same nights that they trampled the raspberry bushes)and ate off a couple of the little yellow nectar flowers on the hummingbird feeder. Thankfully, I had some spare yellow nectar flowers so I was able to repair the damage. Of course, both feeders needed to be refilled. Even with the raccoon damage to the plants, I'm still getting over a quart of raspberries per picking. Regardless, the raccoons have got to be stopped!

On the night of the trampling and feeder vandalism, I actually caught the perpetrators, in flagrante delicto, out on my deck, grubby paws grabbing for the birdseed feeder and exploring my container gardens. I'd forgotten to bring in my birdseed feeders and had gone out to collect them. There were three of the masked bandits and only one of me. However, I was able to grab my sturdy walking stick which I used to thwack and poke at the vandals and thieves while I echoed their hissing with some hissing of my own. I was a bit miffed at the time. Stupid raccoons! I'm hoping that my spirited defense of my property will have discouraged the miscreants. We've had two nights, sans raccoons. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they won't return. You know, it's times like this that I wish I had a gun. My Mom recommended a sling shot but I'm thinking that a BB-gun or a pellet gun is more my thing. In the meantime, my walking stick remains where I can easily grab it should the masked bandits return.

Bread-making was a priority for today. With only three pieces of bread remaining from the last two loaves of bread I baked, it was time to bake more. I really should have made some hamburger buns too but decided to hold off a bit on that project. I don't like to bake too much bread stuff at one time. I'd rather bake it as we need it. Baked goods get moldy pretty fast here at The Lake and after a week need to be stored in the fridge. Since I only have limited refrigerator space, I don't want to load it up with baked goods.

I'm making BBQ ribs tonight for supper. Yesterday, I picked and cleaned enough lettuce from my window box gardens on the deck to last us for a while. A nice garden salad will go well with the ribs.

Murphyism of the Day

Billing's Law


Silence is one of the hardest things to refute.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.

- Bill Hicks

I bet Bill Hicks doesn't have to worry about wolves and vandalizing raccoons! I don't need bigger locks, I just need a gun.

- Old Grey Frog

No comments: