Sunday, September 27, 2009


The Boat

Word of the Day

Semanticize - To start or begin an argument purely over semantics.


Woodtick Count of the Day - 42

With rain predicted for Friday night, I harvested all the veggies from my deck garden and disposed of all the plants. I made six pints of piccalilli relish from the green tomatoes and pickled three pints of hot peppers. I harvested and cleaned the last of the lettuce from my window boxes. #1 Son and HTP helped drag all of the Earthboxes and containers to the garage for storage and I gave my petunias and geraniums to my folks. The deck sure looks naked without all the plants.

Fearing rain, I brought all the fishing gear up from the dock and out of the boat. And...I was right. We got rain. Thankfully, it held off until all my outdoor work was completed. Unfortunately, even though we only had 1/4 inch of rain... My boat doesn't leak, but it collects and holds rain water just fine. HTP complained that a 1/4 inch of rain in a boat looks and weighs lots more than one would think.

We pulled out the dock and the boat. Well...the dock is almost all pulled out. HTP and I are going to have to hire some additional muscle to pull the dock entirely out of the lake. The darn thing is just so incredibly heavy and HTP and I aren't getting any younger. Even with #1 Son's help, we couldn't get the rolladock's wheels up and over that last barrier. The concrete steps by the lake. HTP had feared that we'd have problems with the boat but it wasn't really all that difficult to pull it out of the water and tip it over. The hardest thing to do was find a scissors to open up the padlock that HTP and I bought to get lock up the boat.

It was great to take a break last night, enjoying dinner and conversation with my folks. We'll be seeing #1 Son again in a week but this was the last chance he'd have for a while to see my folks.

Today? #1 Son finished up his laundry, packed up his car and headed back to The Big City. Me? I'm enjoying a day of rest.

Random Thought of the Day

There is a great need for sarcasm font.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.

- Paul Dudley White

No comments: