Saturday, September 05, 2009


The Log Pile in the Woods

Word of the Day

Scribline - The blank area on the back of credit cards where one's signature goes.


Woodtick Count of the Day - 42

Three blind mice, three blind mice,
See how they run, see how they run,
They all ran after the farmer's wife,
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife,
Did you ever see such a thing in your life,
As three blind mice?


Well...they weren't blind and HTP and I didn't chop off their tails with a carving knife or the axe I was using, but, there were three mice. I want to assure you that no mice were physically harmed in this story. I can't promise that they didn't suffer a bit of mental anguish but...there was no tail cutting done.

The other day when HTP and I were splitting wood, two mice scurried out of the log that HTP grabbed from the log pile. The log had a hollow area. I noticed that there was one more mouse hovering in that hollow area as HTP set the log up on end for splitting. It was peeking out at us. After a couple of hits with the axe, the third mouse decided that it'd be a lot safer to make a fast exit from the log that had been its home. Off he scurried, right over my feet. Even though I was expecting it, I squeaked. Cute little buggers. I don't mind mice as long as they stay in the woods where they belong. I'm sure these three mice have already found another hollow log in our wood pile (the one in the woods, not the one in the garage), where they've taken up residence until HTP and I chop their home into fireplace wood....which...won't be until next year. At least, I don't "think" we'll be having to chop any more wood this fall.

Murphyism of the Day

Dolman's First Law


The first time you screw up a colonoscopy, your patient is a lawyer.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Silence is the virtue of fools.

- Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

No comments: