Saturday, October 10, 2009

Word of the Day

Shazwazzer - Australian slang for the modern American bull frog.


HTP enjoyed two nights at DD Daughter’s home. Thank you DD Daughter and GI Joe for the hospitality. We enjoyed the opportunity to spend quality time with our grandchildren. Getting to know Mr. T in his home environment. He’s so incredibly alert. Blue eyes open but…at this point his blue eyes may change. Mr. T is only one month old. He loves being held…or…maybe it’s just that Grandma loved the opportunity to cuddle. DD Daughter and I took the opportunity to visit a tea shop near her home. Wonderful! I bought myself a tea pot (just like DD Daughter’s) and some tea to take back to Arizona. We also stopped at a wine shop where I bought a couple of bottles of wine for DD Daughter. After that, we stopped at a place called Arctic Ice where I bought 10# of dry ice to put in my cooler. My Blue Ice was still frozen when I threw it away in DD Daughter’s garbage can. However, even frozen, it was leaving blue smears all over…which is why I threw it away. It was leaking. Yuck! The dry ice should keep everything frozen or at least cold until we get to Arizona…especially with our special cooler.

HTP and I said our goodbyes to DD Daughter, GI Joe, Ms. En and Mr. T and hit the road again at around 8:30 AM. We bought a power inverter so I can use my laptop in the car as we’re traveling. This is a cool thing. It took a while for me to figure out how this inverter thing works as I’m not mechanically or electrically inclined but HTP translated some of the more technical bits in the directions. Yes, I had to read the directions. I kept on getting this red LED light popping up. Not good. And, no, I didn’t need the directions or HTP’s guidance to figure out that the red wire connects to the red terminal and the black wire connects to the black terminal. I’m not totally hopeless. However, turns out that I couldn't’t plug this inverter into the accessory outlet in our car. I had to use the cigarette lighter outlet. Huh? Well…I have no idea why that is but I’m sure HTP and #1 Son know…or they’ll figure out for me. The important thing is that I can use my laptop for as long as I like without worrying about the battery dying on me.

One would say that I should be enjoying the scenery but there’s really not all that much to see in the flat plains of Nebraska. Besides, we travel this route on our way home to Arizona every year at this time. Scenery? We’ve got dueling trucks, road construction cones, fields of corn drying, waiting for harvest, grain elevators, and today…blue skies. Great driving weather.

Speaking of blue skies, we’d planned to visit the pumpkin patch with the grandkids yesterday but the weather turned from blue skies and relative warmth to grey skies and cold. It’s still cold today but….the sun is shining. *sigh* It seems like whenever we want to plan outdoor activities with the grandkids, it rains or it’s just too cold to do anything. Oh well…maybe next year.

We’re heading to Denver today. We’ll gain an hour once we get close to Ogallala. Time change. Gotta love it. We stopped for a quick bite to eat in Lincoln but it’s petal to the metal now with only short stops to walk the dog or gas.

Random Thought of the Day

Was learning cursive really necessary?

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Never compare your inside with somebody else's outside.

- Hugh Macleod

No comments: