Monday, September 15, 2014

Canning Vegetable Pork Soup

Word of the Day

Newify - To make something, that was once old, to become new again through refurbishing, painting, repairing, or some other activity.


I made my 10,000 today but, it was NOT an easy thing. I didn't sleep well last night so it was hard to actually get moving this morning. Plugging in a Walk Away aerobic CD helped...a bit. I know that the workouts do improve my mood. Depression sucks. Workouts help. I'd rather spend time working out than take some Big Pharma medication...if I can.

My first attempt at canning soup ended up with a 50% success rate. NOT good. Two of the quarts didn't seal. Apparently, I filled the jars too full. Most of the websites for this venture recommend leaving 1 inch of head space in the jars. *sigh* I am so used to only leaving 1/2 inch to 3/4 of an inch. My second attempt...just two quarts this time, ended up with a 100% success rate. YEAH!!!! I'm not sure if I'll ever end up having to can meats or soups with meat but....I am intrigued that I might be able to can and preserve my turkey stock this winter instead of freezing it. Meantime, the soup that I canned will taste wonderful...even if I have to add fresh ingredients to provide mouth appeal.

I've continued putting my gardens to bed for the winter. All my Earthboxes are prepped for the winter and #1 Son has promised that he'll cover them with a tarp...which I'll put out for him.

Tomorrow is laundry day...and garbage day....and...I promised to help JC and BW Babe drive into the big city to pick up their new truck. They are trading two of their current vehicles in for this new truck and...JC can only drive one of the trade-in vehicles. BW Babe doesn't drive so...I'll have to drive the second trade-in vehicle. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop at a Target while I'm in the big city. I'd like to pick up a birthday card and a gift card for Little Jon. His birthday is coming up and...I am sooo not good at sending birthday cards and presents. BAD GRANDMA!

Random Quote of the Day

I didn't mind getting old when I was young. It's the being old now that's getting to me.

- John Scalzi, Old Man's War, 2005

No comments: