Saturday, September 13, 2014

Summer of the Giant Puffballs

Word of the Day

Lackapatious - Bored, restless, lacking patience.

Actually, I'm not bored...however, I am feeling a bit restless and patience is NOT my strong suit right now. I feel like for every step forward that I make, I end up having to take two steps backward and then three steps to make up for the loss of time and progress. Yesterday, I brought in all my frost tender plants or covered them. We didn't get any frost. *sigh* So, this morning, I spend valuable time hauling all the plants that had taken up residence in my kitchen, back outside. Then, I took all the sheets off the tomato plants, four sheets that I'm in the process of laundering right now and that will have to be folded and put away. I don't expect that we'll have another frost chance between now and the time I need to put all my Earthboxes away for the winter.

Meanwhile, I prepped and canned two more quarts of diced tomatoes and one quart of tomato juice. Then, I juiced some of the raspberries that I froze over the summer and made seven pints of raspberry jam. Of course, this made it so that I had to clean the juicer...and only for ONE batch of jam because my raspberry bushes didn't produce much this year. Hopefully, I won't have this problem NEXT summer. I don't mind cleaning my juicer but, I'd rather use it for more than one batch of jam or jelly. OK, to be honest, this summer I also made two batches of black currant jelly but, I normally make LOTS more jam and jelly than three batches. ACK! It's a good thing that I don't expect to have to gift too much of my jam and jelly this winter.

I've got a second load of dishes, washing in the dishwasher...which means that they'll have to be put away. It's a beautiful, sunshiny day. I would so much prefer spending time outside today. I've got a long To Do List that needs to be worked on with less than three weeks remaining and I'm hoping this "two steps back for every step forward" changes. I need to spend a LOT more time moving forward.

My Navigator is back home! The repair person couldn't fix the radio but he brought my car back to me. I'm a bit afraid to move it right now. He left it in the driveway, blocking the way when I have to store my boat. Will it start?

****

The Navigator started and I've got it stowed in the garage. I walked to the main road and back and....I found two more puffballs. I cooked them both up...and some as "steaks". Talked to HTP and...added more stuff to my To Do List. *sigh* I think I'll take another walk up to the main road and back. I only need 2,000 more steps to make my 10,000.

Random Quote of the Day

The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning.

- Ivy Baker Priest, in Parade, 1958

No comments: