Tuesday, September 23, 2014

View From My Driveway - Open created by the logging

Word of the Day

Quash squash - The act of walking on the outer sides of one's feet to dampen the squishing sound of squeaky tennis shoes. Literally, to annul a squishing sound.

I finally got my 10,000 in today...just now. Exhaustion. Of course, I handicapped myself today. I forgot to put my Fitbit on this morning so all the steps I made while getting the laundry collected, sorted and started...were stepped but not counted. Oh well, regardless, I benefited. Kylee and I had to make the hike up to the main road and back THREE times today. Again...despite how tired I'm feeling, I'm sure I benefited. However, I was HAPPY to feel the buzz of my Fitbit that told me that I reached my goal.

Had a fun night last night with BW Babe and JC. We had hamburgers on the grill with French fries....and then...later....chocolate zucchini bread (kind of like a really yummy brownie) with ice cream and hot fudge. Yum! We watched the premiere of The Big Bang Theory. What a wonderful show! I was really happy to see that BW Babe actually drove over here...despite...OK. JC is a bit critical and not exactly helpful when it comes to encouraging BW Babe's attempts at driving. I'm just glad to finally see her DRIVE. She really NEEDS to know how to drive!

Milestone today. I brought a final load of garbage out to the road. There will NOT be any more garbage collection this summer/fall. Tomorrow, I'll have to roll the garbage barrel back to the house to store in the garage.

I've been busily whittling items off my To Do List. Today? I picked the last of my green tomatoes. I decided to try something different. I invented Green Tomato Chili. I fried up the last of my ground beef (that I didn't vacuum seal) and four large boneless pork chops (diced) and then cored and diced all the green tomatoes (there were plenty), added hot pepper flakes, the last of the tiny jalapenos that decided to form on my plants, a splash of green jalapeno sauce, onion flakes, beef bouillon crystals, a half a pint of green tomato salsa, a splash of lemon juice, some fresh parsley and basil, garlic...lots of garlic, and some salt. In other words, a bit of this and a bit of that. I boiled the heck and back out of it and then...yummy. I canned three quarts of it (experiment and I still need to create a label for the jars), ladled three more quarts in to containers to enjoy while I'm still here and gift to BW Babe, and ate a bowl of it for lunch today. Yummy. I mean...really good. This just may be one of the best ways to use up those final green tomatoes from my vines....plus...added benefit of using up the last bit of meat from the freezer.

I got my laundry done. I'll only be washing clothes one more time while I'm here at The Lake this Fall. Mile Stones.

Random Quote of the Day

We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.

- Etty Hillesum, O Magazine, October 2002

No comments: