Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Dock has been Dry-docked for the Winter

Word of the Day

Realizement - A revelation, an epiphany. Something becomes clear or understood after being previously puzzling.

I exercised, I canned, I hiked, I got my 10,000 and then some, I built a fire in the fireplace, and I coached the guys who came from Seasonal Toys on how to take out the boat AND the dock. And after all that...I've been driven to drink, actually, I was fine until the guys came to pull the boat and the dock. *sigh*

My first indication that there might be a problem when I noticed that the guy who was attempting to row my boat over to the shore where I keep it over winter was busily rowing and rowing and rowing while the boat was still attached to the dock. I ran down to unhook the boat from the dock and noted that he'd totally unfastened the rope I use in the bow of the boat and left it dangling on the dock. *sigh* I'll have to remember to re-fasten it to the rowboat next spring.

Next? I noted that they were pulling the dock boards off the dock which would have been just fine but...they hadn't lifted the legs as yet. You know, I really tried to stay out of things to let them pull the dock on their own but....I had visions of my dock, totally wrecked and wracked. So, politely, I asked, "Ummm, you guys know that you need to lift the legs of the dock before you pull it...don't you?" They didn't know that. *sigh*

Finally? I'm watching them as they attached a cable from their ATV to the end of the dock. You know...if HTP and I can easily pull the dock up onto shore without the use of an ATV, at least until the wheels hit the shore, you probably don't REALLY need an ATV...at least not to pull my dock. Once again, I stepped in when it looked like these guys intended to make the job a LOT harder than it needed to be. They planned to pull the dock out...where it never was intended to go. "Ummmm....I hate to butt in but....it's easiest to pull the dock up onto the sidewalk area." And then, he asked me if I wanted the wheels out of the water. Yes...that's the ONLY hard part when it comes to pulling my dock. ACK!!!!

Oh crap! What did they do with the oars to the boat?! I'm going to have to have #1 Son and #1 DIL retrieve them. I just ran down to check and...I think they stowed them under the boat. NOT a good thing. CRAP!!!!

On the plus side...the dock and boat are both IN. I canned two quarts of diced tomatoes and one quart of tomato juice. I brought the garbage barrel back to the garage and stowed it inside the garage (no Teddy Bear Picnic), I pulled in all the hoses so they won't freeze. I've got LOTS more that needs doing but...I'm done for today. I've got a nice cheery fire going in the fireplace and I'm done for the day.

Random Quote of the Day

It has all been very interesting.

- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689 - 1762)

No comments: