Saturday, April 05, 2003

Further observations from a clock watcher...or is that watch watcher.

I didn't get much sleep last night. I kept having to blindly grope for my watch so I could hold it up to my face to tell the time. I finally woke up a full half hour before the clock radio went off. My husband grumbled, turned over and went back to sleep. If I'd been wearing my watch, I would have bonked him with it. It's shock resistant. After I got dressed, I looked at my wrist to see how much time I had before I had to make coffee and then wake everyone else (my son and husband) up for breakfast before racing off to take my son to his trumpet and guitar lessons. I wasn't wearing my watch. I discovered this neat way of attaching my watch to my belt so I could still consult it and yet allow the dent in my wrist to fade. I've noticed a somewhat improvement in the appearance of the watch dent on my wrist.

After breakfast I looked at my wrist to see how much time I had before driving my son to his lessons. No watch. I looked at the time on the microwave. Plenty of time to write my blog. Right? Wrong...the clock on my computer was off. I managed to get my son to his lessons but we were late. I mean really late. Two minutes late. I told you that if I'm 5 minutes early, I concider myself late. Primal scream!!!! I add it up and I was 7 minutes late! I consulted my bare wrist, muttered something unprintable under my breath and then consulted my watch which still remained attached to my belt, and figured that I would have exactly one hour to pick up the cleaning at the dry-cleaners and do the grocery shopping. Half-way through the grocery shopping, I checked my bare wrist again...do you see where this is going? Sigh. I can do this. I check my belt watch. I brought the groceries home and put them and the dry-cleaned clothes away. I consulted my bare wrist...sigh...ok...check the watch on my belt...and I had just enough time to dash off and pick up my son from his lessons. Yeah! Success!! I was only 3 minutes late which to the rest of you should translate to 2 minutes early. Fortunately, this was just fine because my son's lesson lasted longer then it was supposed to because...I guess the teacher doesn't wear a watch. So, I got to sit in the car reciting mantras to calm my spirit for 20 minutes. This is just fine with me. It allowed me to center myself.

I quit smoking. Why am I having such an awful time quitting watch watching? I can do this. Thankfully, there is a clock on the dashboard of my car and now I've fixed the clock on my computer. And wearing my watch on my belt really doesn't look too bad. Now if only the dent and white band on my wrist would fade. Perhaps it will fade along with my compulsion to keep watching my watch.

No comments: