Saturday, December 15, 2007


MC Daughter, #1 Son, and DD Daughter - December 1989?

Word of the Day

Eggshausted - When the eggs in a carton are all used up.


I made fruitcake bars last night. Since making and baking the spritz turned out easier than I'd thought, I had time to make my favorite fruitcake bars. I know that many people don't like fruitcake but I happen to like it. I carry none of the "I HATE FRUITCAKE" genes in my body. I think my brother and sister got those. I've got enough candied fruit left to make a couple of loaves of stollen. If I have time, I'll make that today. I also added a couple of recipes to the list of things I want to make because GI Joe's Mom sent me an e-mail this morning with links to all kinds of candy recipes. I really tried to resist but.....

Behind Christmas Calendar Door #15...

I'm going to make Sugarfree Chocolate Brownies and fudge.

Old Grey Frog's Sugarfree Brownies

Melt together slowly in microwave so you don't shock the chocolate.

1/4# butter or margarine
2 squares unsweetened chocolate

Stir in: (It doesn't have to dissolve...the batter will look speckled so don't worry)

1 cup Maltitol sweetener

Beat in until eggs are incorporated thoroughly,

2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Stir in:

1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.

Bake 40-45 minutes at 325°F or until done.



Old Grey's Fudge

In a Large Bowl:
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
2 c. chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. margarine

In a large heavy saucepan:
1 (5-1/3 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 c. sugar
10 large marshmallows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Bring mixture in saucepan to a boil. Boil 5 minutes over slow heat, stirring constantly. Pour mixture in bowl. Stir until margarine and chocolate chips are melted. Pour into buttered glass dish and chill in refrigerator overnight (about 8 hours)

******

I'll have to make a grocery store run if I plan to make more candy. As for the stollen recipe? All I do is make a single white bread recipe in my breadmaker with the candies fruit. Dough setting. Take it out when it's done. Form two stollen loaves. Let rise again until double. Bake in the oven at 375°F for about 35 minutes. I end up having to cover the loaves after they've baked for a while so that the tops don't get too brown. I don't frost the stollen loaves until I'm ready to serve them up for a breakfast. As for the recipe for my fruitcake bars?

Fruit Cake Bars

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup light molasses
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup raisins
2 cups candied fruit
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine all ingredient except flour, fruit, and nuts; beat well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in two greased 8x8-inch pans.

Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes. Frost warm with Lemon Glaze.

Lemon Glaze

Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp soft butter and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. (note: I actually use Limoncello instead of lemon juice).

I'm laughing right now because I KNOW that my sister is NOT going to EVER make the Fruit Cake Bars.

Murphyism of the Day

Hartz's Law of Rhetoric

Any argument carried far enough will end up in semantics.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.

- George Aiken

No comments: