Saturday, December 08, 2007


MC Daughter and DD Daughter - Christmas Eve 1983

Word of the Day

Ebanipper - An online bidder whose bid is accepted at the last second of an auction; thus, depriving other bidders of their highly sought-after "beanie-baby" (or other ridiculous fad-of-the-month).


I opened Door #8 in my Christmas Calendar before breakfast and then time flew by and I never did get any breakfast. Though not strictly a Christmas decorating task, I noted that my copper canisters, used to store flour and sugar, were horribly tarnished. Actually...MC Daughter pointed this fact out repeatedly last year but I've been avoiding the mess of having to polish the copper. I hate polishing copper. It took me most of the morning to finally get these two copper canisters polished. Since I do a lot of baking, and I love the color of copper, I bought two huge copper kettles that most chefs would use for cooking. Since I couldn't find any canisters that I could store enough flour or sugar in, I decided to buy these kettles. Only...they do get tarnished. I suppose it wouldn't have been so difficult to polish them if I hadn't let them go so long. I wouldn't have minded a nice green patina but they never got to that point. I might have left them if they'd have turned green since I happen to like that color but... Anyway, they're back to a nice shiny copper color again. Ready for me to mess them up when I start my baking.

Also, behind Door #8, I found the task of setting out my snowglobes. Six boxes of snowglobes! And, as I suspected, more Christmas frogs were stored in the boxes along with some candles. After getting all the snowglobes set up, I dug through the last box in my closet with Christmas stuff. The Twelve Days of Christmas figurines were in there but...they're now set up on my server where I've put them every Christmas since we moved to this house. I also found my animated Santa. He's now plugged in and programed to light up and start moving from 5 PM until 2 AM.

I still haven't started officially playing Christmas music on my stereo. There's a channel on our cable TV that was playing some Christmas music. It wasn't the same. There is no way that I'll be able to bake anything to the music that they were playing today on the cable channel. I need loud, surround sound, floor-shaking Christmas music in order for me to do the baking. That will have to wait until at least Monday.

I haven't peeked behind Door #9 as yet but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll find when I take a look. I've got an orchestra practice at the church tomorrow morning. After that, I've got to get a couple of boxes ready for mailing. Those tasks should more than fill the space behind Door #9 and may actually spill over into Doors #10 and #11.

Murphyism of the Day

The Eleventh Commandment


Thou shalt not committee.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

No comments: