Wednesday, November 12, 2003

It's raining. We need the rain here in Arizona. I won't feel so guilty about overseeding my lawn with winter grass if it continues to rain. I try to be environmentally conscious. I made a conscious decision to overseed my lawn this winter. Do I get points because I didn't overseed last winter? Do I get points for moving into a house where the landscaping will be desert friendly and water-efficient? The problem arises that I have to sell this house before I can move into the new house. I've bought and sold houses throughout the 25 years of my marriage. We joke that we put our house up for sale every time the windows need washing. I need to sell this house. In order to do that I have to make things look unnaturally wonderful. No spiderwebs, no toilet bowl rings, no dust, the carpet must look like no-one has ever walked there before, the appliances must look brand-new, the house will look like it has been newly painted because it will have been newly painted, the windows will reflect the beauty of the lake and the grass must be green. If you have ever walked into a Model Home Village to view the homes in a housing developement, you should note that no-one has ever lived in these homes. The TV's if there are TV's are fake. The fruit on the table is fake. The flowers are fake. The house is clean, there are no messy fingerprints and no-one has ever cooked in the kitchen. My goal is to make my house, my home, look like one of these unlived in homes until it sells. I have from now until January to make it look like this. While the house is up for sale our electricity bill will go through the roof because every light will burning whenever a potential buyer stops by. A fire will be kept lite in the fireplace. There will be fresh flowers in vases on the tables. The floor will be vacuumed and swept to erase any sign of habitation. Beds will be made with decorative pillow shams on a daily basis. Even though we're adhereing to a strict no/low carbohydrate diet, there will be the smell of fresh baked bread or cinnamon rolls purmiating the house. No-one will ever know that I own two dogs or that I have a son who isn't the best at cleaning up after himself. All thought of living a normal existance while this house is up for sale will be forgotten. So although I feel guilty about overseeding the lawn this winter because of environmental concerns, I'll just have continue feeling that way until after the house sells. Oh...and I drive an SUV too but that's another whole story.

Today's Little Bit of Trivia

"Utopia" is an ancient Greek word meaning "nowhere". I know that I've used this bit of trivia before but it just seemed to fit the theme today.

No comments: