Friday, May 11, 2007




Word of the Day

B+ stampede - The attempt by half the classroom to claim the paper with no name on it.


A cold front has drifted through here at The Lake. The winds are coming out of the northeast. It's not all that windy or that cold but along with the front came an over-powering odor of what smells like everyone in our county deciding to start a bonfire at the same time. There is a huge forest fire, fires?, in northern Minnesota. They're calling it the Gunflint Fire because it's located in the area of the Gunflint Trail. Anyone who knows Minnesota is familiar with that area. HTP and I drove up there one year on vacation. The area is beautiful. The lakes have some really nice walleyes. Wild blueberries? Prolific. The area is still burning. There's a distinct haze from the smoke that has blown our way during the night-time hours. Minnesota and Wisconsin are suffering from a lack of wet stuff (rain or snow). There are burning bans here at The Lake.

The goldfinch have returned to enjoy my seed-feeders. I saw orioles sipping nectar from my oriole feeder. Although I've saw a hummingbird before I put up my hummingbird feeders (the sighting pushed me into putting out all my feeders), I haven't seen any of them at my feeders. I guess they must be all over at my sister's place across the lake. I haven't had any raccoon or squirrel problems as yet with my seed-feeders. From lessons learned in previous years, I've decided to continue my practice of bringing the seed-feeders inside before dusk and setting them out again in the morning. Though I have never had a black bear problem with my feeders, my folks, my sister and my brother have all lost seed-feeders to the scavenging bears.

Today will see me working in the garden, weeding, and collecting dandelion blossoms for wine. My sister and I plan to continue our wine-making project this summer. Someday, I have visions of my future Grand-daughter opening up a bottle of dandelion wine that I bottled in the year that she was born.

Murphyism of the Day

Imbesi's Law of the Conservative Fifth


In order for something to become clean, something else must become dirty.

Freeman's Extension

But you can get everything dirty without getting anything clean.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed. -- Don Wood

No comments: