Friday, May 18, 2007




Word of the Day

Beavo - A pencil with teeth marks all over it.


After breakfast I drove into our little town to go to the post office. I needed to buy some stamps for the baby shower invitations. I ended up having to buy the forever stamps because that's all the post office had available. The Liberty Bell? Oh well...the invitations are in the mail.

While I was in town, I also stopped at the hardware store to pick up some potting soil and perlite so I could pot some geraniums, wave petunias, and verbena for my deck planters. I also wanted to replant the geraniums that my sister wintered for me in her basement.

And then...since I haven't been inside Just Rite on Main (a strange little gift/thrift/antique store) for at least a year or so and my sister recommended it and because I had the time, I decided to stop in and check things out. HTP would tell you that this was a big mistake. Just Rite on Main is a fun store. Lots of bargains, lots of doodads, lots of stuff that well...let's just say that I didn't walk out of there empty-handed. I'm going to have to stop in there again to get prizes for the baby shower games. I've decided on two games so far.

Our little town is really little. HTP was shocked at how long it took me to go to the post office and pick up some potting soil. Oh well...when I finally did get home and stored away my purchases, I got busy planting the remaining two bushes that I was too tired to plant yesterday.

The mystery is solved. After digging and digging and digging, pulling rock after rock after rock after boulder after boulder out of the ground, I've solved the puzzle of why my rhododendrons died and why the prickly plants died. The landscapers who planted my bushes when we originally had landscaping put in, didn't bother to remove the boulders and rocks before they planted. The poor plants have been trying to grow roots in solid rock. There was more rock than dirt. I'm surprised the poor things managed to live as long as they did. I hope after all my digging and rock removal, the bushes that I just finished planting do all right. There are still a few boulders that were too big for me to lift but I think I dug deep enough and wide enough so that my new bushes will have enough room to send their roots out around the huge boulders.

While I was all muddy and dirty from planting the two bushes, I mixed up some potting soil with perlite and potted the flowers for my deck and re-potted the geraniums. I've got pretty flowers now in the planters on my deck and I'm hoping the geraniums that I re-potted will decide to decide to blossom later this summer too.

So...I'm done with planting. Right? OK. I do have three more perennials that I need to plant but those are in three inch pots. They shouldn't actually take too much effort. I'll do those tomorrow? What about the pine trees? *sigh* Maybe #1 Son will help me plant them. I changed out of my muddy jeans and into some clean clothes. I refuse to get all dirty again today. Besides...I'm tired.

Murphyism of the Day

Law of Kitchen Confusion - Number Four


Once a dish is fouled up, anything added to save it only makes it worse.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving. -- Mother Teresa

No comments: