Sunday, May 06, 2007




Word of the Day

Bandpulliphobia - The fear of pulling off a band-aid; Especially when counting down from three.


I've had my first woodtick. A deer tick. I woke up in the middle of the night and there it was, embedded. HTP was all confused because he claimed that I hadn't even been outside all that much. Well...I have walked the gardens and I did pull a few weeds and started pulling the dead leaves off some of my flowers. So...I got a tick. I pulled it out, wrapped it up and flushed it. I'll keep an eye out to make sure I don't get the bullseye target that indicates Lyme disease. From what I hear, there's little chance of that happening since I caught the little bugger before it had much time to do anything but bite me. I guess I'd better check for more ticks tonight. I was out working on the flower beds again this afternoon after #1 Son left to go back to college.

I have to find a place to plant eight 4-year-old white pine trees. They're a foot tall with at least a foot of roots. They're sitting in a bucket of water right now waiting for me to do something with them. Our lake association decided to give out free trees this year to its members. I was supposed to get two. They gave me twelve. I gave four of them to my folks. Mathematically, that leaves me with eight. I have no real idea where I'm going to plant them. I do know where I'm not going to plant them. I don't want to plant them anywhere near my vegetable gardens. I don't want to plant them anywhere where they'll block my already filtered view of the lake. I guess I'll plant them here and there in the woods where I can see them in the late fall after the leaves have all dropped from the trees or the spring when the leaves haven't popped yet. It's nice to have some evergreens in the woods. Tomorrow...I'll get digging tomorrow. I was only supposed to have to worry about digging two huge holes. I could have handled that today. Eight? Not today.

I did laundry yesterday and my legs and knees are screaming because they're not used to going up and down stairs. Our place in Arizona doesn't have stairs. None. I go through this every spring when we get here to The Lake. Our house here has stairs. Lots of stairs. I guess the spring in my knees isn't as springy as it used to be. At least my knees haven't openly rebelled....yet. I don't plan to push it. My vitamin supplement that I take to rebuild and maintain cartilage and joint health is working but it doesn't promise miracles.

Murphyism of the Day

Drew's Law of Highway Biology


The first bug to hit a clean windshield lands directly in front of your eyes.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.

Bernard Berenson (1865 - 1959)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. Hope I don't have a ton of leaves to pick up. I need to recuperate.
IBM