Wednesday, May 09, 2007


Word of the Day

Balkanize - To divide a region into small parts much like the Balkans.


One plum tree...planted. I hope it does well. It's a Mount Royal Plum (purple) which claims to be a dwarf. I'm not holding my breath about getting fresh plums this first year...or maybe even next year. When you plant a tree like this, you need to dig the hole twice as wide as the root ball and twice as deep. That was fun. Not. Thank you very much Mr. Glacier for dumping so many rocks on my side of the lake. I sure got my exercise this morning. After digging and digging and picking out rocks that varied from the size of a golf ball to the size of a football, I hit a rock that was too big to lever out of the hole and even if I could have managed to loosen it, I doubt that I'd have been able to lift it. I adjusted my hole off to the side a bit. My new plum tree will just have to adapt and enjoy a neighborly rock by its side. I tossed the little rocks into the woods and added the larger rocks to my rock garden edging.

I still need to plant five more white pine trees. Not today!

Murphyism of the Day

Gillette's Law of Telephone Dynamics


The phone call you've been waiting for comes the minute you're out the door.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. -- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

No comments: