Thursday, November 08, 2007



Word of the Day

Disluminate - To take light away from something.


Gypsy is a toe-licker. She's sitting at my feet right now and thoroughly washing my feet while I blog. Tickles a bit but at least she isn't chomping on my toes. I draw the line at toe chomping.

I bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel book. (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - A Complete Pet Owner's Guide. By D. Caroline Coile, Ph.D.) I figured that I'd never owned a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel before and maybe I'd read something that would explain something that I might be confused about. Like...Gypsy doesn't bark. Is that normal? According to this book, Gypsy will never be a good watch dog...protection? Forget about it. I quote: "What a joke! The Cavalier's bark is indeed worse than its bite. It will welcome burglars with great gusto, with wagging tail and soaring spirit. Although some may find a barking Cavalier to be intimidating, in truth the Cavalier is not a particularly effective protection dog." Bark? What bark? You mean Gypsy may indeed find her voice one of these mornings? Actually, I did hear Gypsy bark this morning. She was playing with me. Other than that? So far, she's pretty much the most silent dog that I've ever met. Nary a hair was displaced yesterday when Mr. Bugman came. She remained quietly at my feet when I signed the paperwork that I was indeed satisfied with Mr. Bugman's work.

Oh well...I read the book, cover to cover. It isn't a huge tome and there are a lot of photographs of dogs that look like Gypsy. Apparently, I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing in regard to house-breaking. I am supposed to start getting Gypsy used to having her hair brushed every other day. I've been doing that but she keeps attacking the brush. She thinks I'm playing. Eventually, she's going to have to learn to love being groomed because her hair is supposed to get longer and will need to be brushed so it doesn't get all matted. Oh well...she doesn't really seem to mind the brushing...even if she did bark at the brush and try to play tug-a-war with it.

Aside from that, I think I need to buy some PVC pipe. The book talks about a stiff leash (running the end of the leash through a length of PVC pipe) when I take Gypsy for a walk. More control for the smaller dog. The stiff leash may help me get Gypsy to walk on my left side (heel position). Looked promising. Plus...I'll need to get a choke chain for our training sessions. Right now, Gypsy loves to walk at my side which is kind of all right but...my right side, between my feet, ummm....pretty much anywhere where I may end up tripping on her while we're walking to get the mail. Oh well...I've got time to start this. She's still a puppy. Maybe in a couple more months I'll start her "official" training.

I could/should be working with her on a lunge line right now. She's not all that good in regard to the issue of coming when she's called. We need to work on that. She tends to plunk herself down at a sit...just out of arm's length... and give me "the look". I've got her attention but she wants to see what I've got in mind before she commits herself to actually "coming". This will really become an important issue when HTP and I return to The Lake. We need to know that Gypsy will come...no matter what...when we call. Even if, especially if, she can't see us and would rather investigate that neat little animal with a white stripe down its back. Ewwwww!

Murphyism of the Day

Edelstein's Advice


Don't worry over what other people are thinking about you. They're too busy worrying over what you're thinking about them.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel.

- Piet Mondrian (1872 - 1944)

No comments: