Saturday, November 10, 2007



Word of the Day

Disremember - To remember something incorrectly.



Happy


Birthday


Willie!


Today is my favorite brother's birthday. Happy Birthday Willie! Have a wonderful day!

I should also mention that today is the birthday of The Marine Corps. I need to say how very thankful I am for all of our Marines and the sacrifices that they've made over the years. I'm proud of all of our military and their families. May God watch over them and keep them safe.

Yet again I start my morning with Gypsy sitting at my feet. Right now she's gnawing on a chew bone. Hey! Better a chew bone than my toes. I've got my clean windows open and I'm enjoying the sound of the fountain in our backyard. It's pretty chilly this morning. 54°F. However, it's supposed to warm up to the mid-80's by this afternoon. Right now, I'm wearing my favorite sweater to ward off the chill.

I bought a new cookbook. I know. Where am I going to put another cookbook? I've got a whole cupboard full of cookbooks and that's after I donated three boxes of cookbooks to The Culinary Institute in Scottsdale for them to use in their library. That was years ago. I've bought more cookbooks since then. HTP often wonders how many cookbooks does one person need. Only....I think my sister would agree that it's really hard to pass up a new cookbook. Of course, I have my favorites and I've started compiling my best favorite recipes in a ring-binder and on my computer but there's nothing like sitting down and exploring a brand-new, sparkly, pretty pictures, cookbook.

I justified this purchase because it wasn't your traditional cookbook, except in format. This was a pet food cookbook. The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs by Donna Twichell Roberts. Ever since the pet food recall that happened last Fall (I still believe that the reason that my Mancha's last months of life were filled with kidney failure was not entirely due to her age), I've been fearful of buying specialty dog foods for my new puppy. I have been purchasing Cesar Puppy Food but....Is there really any guarantees when it comes to buying this sort of thing anymore? I'm in shock with how many recalls there have been on foods and toys. So...I saw this cookbook and decided I'd give it a try instead of buying any more store bought treats. At least if I cook up a batch of chicken or beef stew for my puppy, I know what I've put in it. Now...I suppose I should explain. I'm not going to be cooking ALL my dog's food from now on. I plan to keep feeding Gypsy a traditional diet of dry dog kibble...however, there isn't any reason why I can't treat her with something special on top of the dry stuff. It's called spoiling your puppy. And why not? I can't think of one reason why I shouldn't and all kinds of reasons why I should. I happen to like cooking. Experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen makes me happy and HTP isn't always fond of my "experiments". I figure Gypsy might not be so critical. Besides, making my own special treats and special dog foods will be a heck of a lot cheaper and safer than buying the same sort of thing in the store. Oh...and I don't plan to buy any special cookie cutters. I don't think Gypsy will really care what shapes her dog treats come in.

Murphyism of the Day

Pascal on Man


The more I see of men, the better I like my dog.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

A duty dodged is like a debt unpaid; it is only deferred, and we must come back and settle the account at last.

- Joseph F. Newton

2 comments:

Mink said...

I think you're going to have to open up your own boutique selling your own wine and liqueurs, crocheted projects, and special doggy treats. You could start up your own online store as long as you got your liquor license ;) Can you sell liquor online?

Old Grey Frog said...

I'm afraid with that getting a liquor license would be prohibitive. Actually, selling anything I cooked up would be a huge hassle due to all the regulations involved. I'll just have to continue making my liqueurs and wines for family consumption. And as for the other things that I make, I used to sell my socks but now that I'm "retired", I think I'll just concentrate on making fun things for my Grandchild-ren....and, of course, Gypsy.