Wednesday, October 08, 2008


Happy Birthday DD Daughter!

Word of the Day

Magnagram - Any sign that takes on a new meaning when a magnetic letter falls off.




Happy


Birthday


DD Daughter!




It's DD Daughter's birthday today! Happy 21st Birthday!......again. I'd bake DD Daughter a cake but HTP and I are on a diet and DD Daughter isn't going to be here to eat it anyway. Oh well....I hope she has a wonderful birthday.

I got my patio all cleaned off yesterday. Swept and washed. The patio furniture is back outside but the cushions are starting to look their age. They really need cleaning. REALLY NEED CLEANING!!!!! They needed cleaning last year. I've been putting this task off because I'm not sure that cleaning them with a store bought product will actually do anything but compound the problem. Anyway, I did buy something that's supposed to work. I just have to take the time to use the product.

In the meantime, I've got the fountain cleaned and running. I also trimmed back most of the overgrown plants by the side of the house. They were so thick that I was worried that my air-conditioner would choke. At least I can now walk without the citrus trees and the pomegranate tree reaching out and wounding me. I can actually get in there now to harvest the pomegranates....as soon as my champagne yeast gets here. I ordered it yesterday. I also have lots of limes. I'm going to have to figure out what to do with them. Some of them are overly ripe and look nasty and brown but they're juicy and taste fine. Waste not, want not. I bought some diet tonic water and made myself a virgin gin and tonic with extra lime yesterday. I'm not sure if I like diet tonic water (sweetened with saccharin) but at least it was calorie free, cold, and wet. I may see if I can get some plain old soda water (equally sugar-free)....or maybe make some iced tea.

I've got some kefir in my fridge right now and have started my second batch. Kefir? It tastes a bit like buttermilk. My sister shared some of her grains with me. It's kind of like making yogurt or sour dough. You're given starter grains. Just add milk. Sis warned me that it would take 48 hours for it to work on my countertop but....it only took 24 hours before it started to look like cottage cheese. Fast growing stuff. HTP turned up his nose at it this morning when I offered him some. More for me. I've got a second batch started on my countertop for tomorrow and if it starts getting too much ahead of me, I'll just stick it in the fridge like Sis told me to slow things down a bit. The nice thing about buttermilk is that it's a refreshing drink that fills you up...with very few calories. Plus, I'm told this stuff is REALLY healthy for you. It's a win, win.

Murphyism of the Day

The Machine Rules


1. Nothing will work that is put back together in the reverse of the way it was dismantled.

2. The last turn on any nut or bolt will strip it or snap it off.

Corollary

Without the last turn, the nut or bolt will fall off.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Never say never, for if you live long enough, chances are you will not be able to abide by its restrictions. Never is a long, undependable time, and life is too full of rich possibilities to have restrictions placed upon it.

- Gloria Swanson (1899 - 1983)

No comments: