Monday, August 13, 2007


Wood Duck Family as Viewed from Our Dock - Summer 2007

Word of the Day

Conastrous - Having the nature of a conaster (see Word of the Day from yesterday's blog), causing great relief. Antonym to disastrous.


It's a beautiful day today. They're predicting rain for tonight so I'm going to put off my sprinkler dance for a while. Actually, this is due to pure laziness rather than my actual belief that we might get some rain. Since I just picked everything that I plan to pick from my garden for the day, I'll probably water the garden. Watering the garden doesn't come under the definition of sprinkler dancing.

I picked a handful of beans but it looks like more will be coming later this week and next. I've got blossoms and I don't see any evidence of rodent nibbling, except for that one green tomato which looks like something was gnawing on it. I also picked some mutant cucumbers and dug up some of the onions to make cucumber salad. And then I picked the Italian peppers. I'm going to fry them up with some onion. Eat some...freeze some. I picked the ripe tomatoes. I'll probably have to start thinking of canning them. Aside from that, I picked nine eggplant from my Earthboxes. I'll probably see if I can gift some to my Mom and my sister. I have no idea what I'm going to do with so many eggplant despite the recipes that I've found online. I've got more eggplant coming. Plenty to make my Italian Green Tomato and Eggplant Pickles this fall.

I'd hoped to go out hiking this afternoon. I may still find the energy. It's starting to get a bit humid outside but nothing like last week.

Murphyism of the Day

Langfield's Law of Gastronomy


The discovery of a new dish is more beneficial to humanity than the discovery of a new star.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice. -- Meister Eckhart

No comments: