Thursday, August 23, 2007


Woody the Woodpecker at The Lake - Summer 2???

Word of the Day

Confuzzled - Being both confused and puzzled; clueless or unclear.


Remember the old cartoon Woody the Woodpecker? I think the woodpecker in that cartoon was based on the pileated woodpecker that we have here at The Lake. This bird is pretty big and looks prehistoric...in my humble opinion. We don't see them too often as they're pretty shy. Mostly, we only know that they're here because you can hear them. I haven't seen one all summer though my Mom and Dad have told me that they've seen them this summer. I got my first sighting this afternoon. Unfortunately, this first sighting...and second...caused me to run out onto my deck to chase Woody away instead of admire him up close and maybe take a photo or two. For some reason (no, I don't have bugs in my deck) Woody decided to attack the railing on my deck this afternoon. I just had that railing stained this summer! Dagnabbitall! Before I could chase him/her away, Woody had managed to remove a one inch sliver of wood from the railing on my deck. Grrrrr!!!!! And then, after chasing him away (something I wouldn't have done if he hadn't been destroying property), he came back and decided to have a go at another stretch of railing. So, I had to run out (in the rain) and chase Woody away yet again. I love pileated woodpeckers but I have a whole forest of trees surrounding my house for him/her to poke holes into, he doesn't need to poke holes into my house.

Rain? Actually, it's not really "raining" outside today. It's misting and drizzling. We received .04 inches of rain last night. My electronic rain gauge hasn't measured any of the misting and drizzle that we've received so far today. I'm not sure if this is because the precipitation is hitting the sensors so lightly or what. Regardless, we've got some rain and maybe I won't have to sprinkler dance for the rest of the month.

I'm dedicating today's Murphyism to MC Daughter and D Buddy who (knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood)have finally managed to get their car up and running after having weeks and months of problems with it.

Murphyism of the Day

Campbell's Laws of Automotive Repair


1. If you can get to the faulty part, you don't have the tool to get it off.

2. If you can get the part off, the parts house will have it back-ordered.

3. If it's in stock, it didn't need replacing in the first place.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

-- Charles Mackay

No comments: