Friday, August 01, 2008


My Finger Has Healed and I'd Like to Forget About This Guy

Word of the Day

Jimbly - Describing nostalgic, childish or immature fun.


As I was impatiently waiting for the microwave to do its thing, heating up my first cup of coffee for the morning, it struck me that I've become impatient with how long it takes to get things done. I've become a spoiled brat when it comes to time. Two minutes? When I was born, there were no microwave ovens. I remember when HTP and I bought our first microwave oven. It was an Amana Radarange. Wow! I really appreciated two minutes back then. Two minutes saved me from watching a pot on top of the stove for ten minutes. Two minutes saved me from an hour baking a potato in the oven. And, best of all, it didn't even take two minutes to heat up formula for a crying baby in the middle of the night. In the grand scheme of things, two minutes isn't a whole heck of a lot of time to wait for that first cup of coffee in the morning while you're waiting for the Mr. Coffee to brew a whole new pot of fresh morning coffee. On the other hand, there are times when it would be nice if two minutes would last a bit longer. Two minutes sure isn't that long when it comes to doing a 100 Push-up Challenge. I just finished Week 3. Column 2. Two minutes between levels for Day 3 , flew by way too fast.

Computers? I remember when my Dad brought home his first calculator. Amazing! My Mom was learning how to program computers....punch cards. Hanging chads anyone? Our first computer was a calculator. Before that you had slide rules and adding machines. I remember programming games onto the Commodore 64! What a leap in technology that was! Before that, we'd play pong on the TV and were amazed at that. Dial-up? E-mail? You'd pay for each an every minute you were on the Internet. No-one had anything faster than dial-up. Faster and faster computers. And then you find yourself having to use dial-up when you're traveling and it's almost painful waiting for e-mails to download.

Technology. But, all our technology can't speed up our own human thought processes. Our own human brains have their limitations. It still takes time to think and remember. Today's technology and the speed of computers, memory capacity for those computers, and microwave ovens...all these speedy devices shown in contrast to our own human brains? It sure would be nice if my own feeble human brain could keep up with the desktop computer that I'm writing my blog on today. No-one has invented a way to speed me up or increase my memory capacity. I'm not sure if I'd like it if they did. Who knows what they'll come up with next? Maybe they'll start using nano-technology in such a way that I'll remember things that I'd just as soon forget.

Murphyism of the Day

Cade's Law of Budgeting


the larger the budget, the less effectively the funds are allocated.

Noteworthy Quote of the Day

Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.

- A. J. Liebling (1904 - 1963)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Resistance is futile. Your ass will be laminated.
--Blorg Queen